Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Price Check

We are just finishing up a 150 sq/ft paver sidewalk.

The HO had the bricks, they were left over from a previous brick patio he did himself in the rear of the house.

So basically we had to remove the concrete walk, and buy everything else.

Seems like it's taking forever as it has a soldier course and a couple of curves. We ended up having to miter the soldiers and that took a while.

So, what do you think your charge would have been?

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One day, 2 grand
Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
One day, 2 grand
Right where we are at on price.

Except,

Seems like it takes me and one other guy wayyyyyyy to long to knock out these types of projects.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, or just spending too much time in making sure it's right.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't do many pavers, a couple dozen, but a have found that three people make it go a lot faster. One staging, one handing to the layer, and one laying. Then when the stager gets ahead and can start sanding and compacting. Once done laying, the layer and the one handing can begin pre-sweeping or putting in edging. Whatever order you like to so it in
Old 07-20-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

something many people do not realize is that small projects can take just as long as any other project. You can lose money on a 1-2 day project if you have no business instinct

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Part of the problem was heat this week. We took long lunch breaks and also multiple breaks through the day.

Another problem was was dump truck was down and had to make extra trips for base material and the such.

Another problem feels like me taking too much time splitting hairs and making sure it came out perfect, or as close as possible.

Last problem was the HO being on site constantly. Which, wasn't the worst thing in the world, just makes me nervous.

And ultimately, I'm looking for a property now to be able to stock-pile more materials. Going to the yard to get stuff is cutting into my time.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In terms of heat, I always factor in more hours if I know the job will be done July through August. If I price the job in the spring it's only valid for 30 days.

People work slower in the heat. I MAKE my guys work slower in the heat. And I MAKE the stop to drink water. Therefore, the jobs will be slightly higher in cost.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
One day, 2 grand
In labor? For 2 guys, or 3+ guys?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 07-21-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
In terms of heat, I always factor in more hours if I know the job will be done July through August. If I price the job in the spring it's only valid for 30 days.

People work slower in the heat. I MAKE my guys work slower in the heat. And I MAKE the stop to drink water. Therefore, the jobs will be slightly higher in cost.
Ended up doing that too. Brought the price up a few hundred bucks. Also originally we thought we were going to do a simple running bond with no border. But it got changed up before the final estimate. Ended up having to cut a ton of half bricks, the curves, and the mitering on the soldier course. That's what ate up most of our time on the installation. I'm so anal on the final product that we marked all the bricks, lifted them, and then cut them on a brick table to get a clean look. I know just setting the bricks, then using a chop saw and cutting the curves is faster, but I don't like the results.

One other thing I realized too is that I personally only do a couple of hardscaping jobs a season. Makes me wonder if not doing them regularly makes it harder where there is never any real rhythm in doing them. So it makes each one a challenge so to speak. That and it's not like you have a core group of guys doing them to where you can knock them out faster.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting the pavers they way you did is the way we do it too. It takes longer but looks better.