Register free!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
That's a 2.5 day job. Fact.

One day for excavation and aggregate base installation, including clean up at the end of day, and hauling spoils.

Day 2 - paver install and cutting. If you work hard non-stop (no answering phone calls, no Facebook) you may have time to sand the joints and clean the chamfer real nice. If not, then you'll have to do the Joint sand when you come Back or turf restoration And clean up.

Day 3 - final grading, turf restoration, cleaning driveway which last yr we started pressure washing the driveways on the last day.

That I feel is the best response and thanks DVS. I was shooting for 2-2.5 days also on this project.

But, like I said, dragged out due to the heat and taking long breaks.

So, ultimately it took 4 days, I was hoping to get it done in 3, but on the third day my guy took the day off to help send his sister off to college. So on day 3 I worked by myself, called it a day in the mid afternoon due to the heat and took 2 hours on day 4 (a Sunday) to tidy up.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
That I feel is the best response and thanks DVS. I was shooting for 2-2.5 days also on this project.

But, like I said, dragged out due to the heat and taking long breaks.

So, ultimately it took 4 days, I was hoping to get it done in 3, but on the third day my guy took the day off to help send his sister off to college. So on day 3 I worked by myself, called it a day in the mid afternoon due to the heat and took 2 hours on day 4 (a Sunday) to tidy up.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! (that your expectations were NOT 1 to 1.5 days). And the longer it takes, the better the quality (in most cases).

These damn little walkways are SNEAKY. Especially when they have curves. It would take us just as long to install that walk in the picture as it would for us to build a 400 SF patio.

The walk looks very nice, by the way.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That's exactly what I wanted to hear! (that your expectations were NOT 1 to 1.5 days). And the longer it takes, the better the quality (in most cases).

These damn little walkways are SNEAKY. Especially when they have curves. It would take us just as long to install that walk in the picture as it would for us to build a 400 SF patio.

The walk looks very nice, by the way.
Thanks DVS.

Sneaky is right, we did a 400sq. foot patio last year and it seemed to take the same amount of time.

And thanks for the compliment. Homeowners are extremely happy with it. Next step is a color enhancer sealer to bring the colors out better.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Remove concrete sidewalk, excavate, install base and final grade day one, second day complete. For 3k, that doesn't leave much for profit. I'd charge 5 for that up here.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Does it really take a day to rip out 1.5 yards of concrete, excavate 3 yards of dirt and install 5 ton of base material?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a guys jaw drop since we ripped his walkway out in 8 mins. Sledge, bar, wheelbarrow to the bobcat and load the truck. Call it a day Nd a half with cuts and cleanup but with three guys you gotta pound these out to make money when these psychos are giving estimates at 8.75/sf. I know we're still inefficient but my guys are really sharpening up. I love watching them swarm a job and actually get it done.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Remove concrete sidewalk, excavate, install base and final grade day one, second day complete. For 3k, that doesn't leave much for profit. I'd charge 5 for that up here.
Thats what im talking about!

I had a similar conversation the other day with an old time business owner. We were discussing a 12k concrete driveway. His response...."why not 13k, or maybe 15k"

The goal of business is to make a profit. Get the highest return on your investment.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
Does it really take a day to rip out 1.5 yards of concrete, excavate 3 yards of dirt and install 5 ton of base material?
If you read my previous post you see the answer.

There is no such thing as 1/2 a day of work.

Clean up and transportation logistics consume alotta time.

Does a small walk need 2-3 trucks on site? The fuel will cost more than the aggregate!

This is where an enclosed trailer backfires on production, as you'd need multiple trucks because the trailer is robbing a truck of maximum use.

Yep, the concrete will be out of place in minutes. No biggie. But it still needs hauled away and disposed of, along with the soil that is excavated. With a 26,000# gvw truck - that's most likely 2 loads.

Where would you stage pavers, bedding sand, aggregate, and still have room to maneuver the equipment to excavate and load the truck???

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Job like that I would use my excavator would go directly from the excavator right into the back of the truck very little cleanup. When yours good at it as I am things roll
Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If you read my previous post you see the answer.

There is no such thing as 1/2 a day of work.

Which is why we would do this job in a day

Clean up and transportation logistics consume alotta time.

shouldn't be

Does a small walk need 2-3 trucks on site? The fuel will cost more than the aggregate!

No job needs 2-3 trucks

This is where an enclosed trailer backfires on production, as you'd need multiple trucks because the trailer is robbing a truck of maximum use.

The enclosed trailer and Skid steer would be mobilized the night before by our dedicated delivery drivers. One of them drives a F550 and the other is a Tri Axle Peterbilt

Yep, the concrete will be out of place in minutes. No biggie. But it still needs hauled away and disposed of, along with the soil that is excavated. With a 26,000# gvw truck - that's most likely 2 loads.

Delivery driver with 57,000 GVW shows up at 9 a.m. dumps aggregate, loads concrete and soil, then goes and dumps it. loads bedding sand and returns to job to dump sand. Pavers would be shipped direct from Vendor.

Where would you stage pavers, bedding sand, aggregate, and still have room to maneuver the equipment to excavate and load the truck???

Around here we just use the streets and usually don't get hassled by the city if its only a day
It is actually rather easy to coordinate this type of job to ensure that it is done in a day.