Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

every other week

I few of my customers want to go to every other week but their lawns are still growing fast. I did one of them the other day and I told them that there will be lots of clippings left over. It takes me longer so I just left it looking like crap. An I in the wrong here? I told them. I don't want to spend double the time for half the pay
Old 07-20-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do the extra work for the same price, or raise the biweekly price accordingly.

How difficult is this really?

I won't leave a lawn looking like crap. Lots of people do.
We all have to do what works for us.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I won't leave a lawn looking like crap. Lots of people do.
We all have to do what works for us.
Same here, I double or triple cut if I have to.
Crappy cuts reflects back on you.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

every other week

Ya but that's another hours work for the same price and then I'm getting 2 less cuts per month. So now a 1.5 hour property takes 2.5 hrs and I also miss 2 cuts per month. It's a double hit
Old 07-20-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

every other week

They don't want to pay extra for bi weekly. I also told them I only do weekly.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
They don't want to pay extra for bi weekly. I also told them I only do weekly.

Well, like I said - How difficult is this really?

They don't want to pay. You don't want to do the extra work without compensation.

Either do the work for no additional monies, or move on. You can't "make" them pay more if they don't want to, so you either deal with it, or you don't.

I had several BIWEEKLY clients this season that went to weekly service after I had a polite discussion about the unusually fast growth this year. I mention that I'm willing to go back to biweekly when things slow down. Only one refused and I no longer mow that lawn. Some other sucker can deal with that crap.

None of my WEEKLY clients have asked to go to biweekly though. If we have drought conditions, I will do so, but that's a completely different situation.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have learned that when a potential customer asks for an estimate for mowing you must ask if they are seeking weekly service for the season.

I have found when they are hesitant to answer they are looking for a one time mow. Or want EOW but are playing their cards close to their chest. Not wanting to reveal that they are seeking EOW.

Because they know many LCO will not do EOW. They also know that many LCO's will charge 50% more for EOW then their weekly price.

The cheapo's strategy is get the EW price of $40 then do their version of the gotcha move with them saying: well I think I will go with EOW for $40.

This is where I tell them the EOW price is $60, and why EOW is more. Then I point out that they are still saving money. EOW for the month will be $80/120. And, EW will be $160/200 a month

That is there choice to go EOW. Though If they want EOW I make them aware that if their grass grows too much their lawn will look a mess with all of the clippings.

Also make them aware of the weekly price and the EOW price which is 50% due to the extra time the extra wear and tear EOW places on the equipment.

I will not mow a EOW twice to make the clippings disappear. To do so is rewarding a cheap customer.

If a EOW lawn is that much of a slow grower then one cut will leave the lawn free of clippings and clumps.

If a EOW lawn grows that much that it needs to be cut twice it needs to be an EW lawn.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

every other week

Exactly what I was thinking. If I make it look good they won't want every week. If it looks like crap after one pass they might want to go back. One of these lawns are an extra hour to double cut.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't double cut any of them. i just leave the clippings on the yard. i still charge a good bit more than the weekly rate. the yard looks bad anyways after a week and a half after you cut it because the grass is so tall and shaggy looking. the clippings you leave on there are gone within a day or two so not a big deal.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have no bi weekly contacts but I do let some go that long ,when they are not growing

I do have one that is 2 times a month its a rough lawn anyway so, I never can get up to top speed
Customer ask why it was so high I said 2 times a month and lawn feels like a plowed field 40%grass 60% weeds

They Look for others I'm only one would give them a bid