Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from EOW lawns

I do not cut every other week lawns. I tell potential customers this on the phone before I even do the estimate. People mowing in SUVs pulled there Craftsman mower and mowing eow just to make some cash is ruining this industry. Not that this is you, however, you don't need a cheap customer that wants a lawn cut eow. Be patient if you do good work, the business will come. Mowing thick grass every other week is a good way to wear out your equipment and the customer doesn't care one bit that you are out of work.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 07-21-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

every other week

I told them I only do every week It's an $80 property so I don't want to lose it
Old 07-21-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a way to compromise if you don't want to lose the lawn or replace them. Personally, unless there's next to no growth I will not do eow. Too much work unless the growth is very slow and too much scheduling hassle. While every part of the country is different, I don't take on one time or eow cuts.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Find a way to compromise if you don't want to lose the lawn or replace them. Personally, unless there's next to no growth I will not do eow. Too much work unless the growth is very slow and too much scheduling hassle. While every part of the country is different, I don't take on one time or eow cuts.
I couldn't agree more. Even in the beginning and before I found this site. I did not do every other week cuts. I have lost lawns because of this and will continue to. I also stopped doing one time cuts in 2012.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont play those games. I dont take on bi weeklys unless I cream it on the price. People who want bi weekly are cheap and most often dont care what their lawn looks like as long as its not a jungle. Most could care less about the detailed stripe patterns or the clean cut edging.bi weekly lawns are always going to be way more work to majntain and dull your blades out quicker. The properties will look unmaintained and neighbors will ntoice. Not something to put ones brand on, atleast not mine.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I have learned that when a potential customer asks for an estimate for mowing you must ask if they are seeking weekly service for the season.

I have found when they are hesitant to answer they are looking for a one time mow. Or want EOW but are playing their cards close to their chest. Not wanting to reveal that they are seeking EOW.

Because they know many LCO will not do EOW. They also know that many LCO's will charge 50% more for EOW then their weekly price.

The cheapo's strategy is get the EW price of $40 then do their version of the gotcha move with them saying: well I think I will go with EOW for $40.

This is where I tell them the EOW price is $60, and why EOW is more. Then I point out that they are still saving money. EOW for the month will be $80/120. And, EW will be $160/200 a month

That is there choice to go EOW. Though If they want EOW I make them aware that if their grass grows too much their lawn will look a mess with all of the clippings.

Also make them aware of the weekly price and the EOW price which is 50% due to the extra time the extra wear and tear EOW places on the equipment.

I will not mow a EOW twice to make the clippings disappear. To do so is rewarding a cheap customer.

If a EOW lawn is that much of a slow grower then one cut will leave the lawn free of clippings and clumps.

If a EOW lawn grows that much that it needs to be cut twice it needs to be an EW lawn.

This is exactly what I do. I also have under my FAQ page something like EOW lawns leave clumps, and we often get complaints. This is an easy fix if your lawn was mowed weekly.

I did a lawn a few weeks ago. The young lady complained like hell. After she was done complaining, I explained to her why the clumps were there and why I wasn't picking them up without getting paid for it. Then she admitted to reading that on my website.

I do what the customer wants as long as I get paid. They can pay me for EOW, and they can pay me more to get the clippings out.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Offer to mow every 10 days as a compromise.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
This is exactly what I do. I also have under my FAQ page something like EOW lawns leave clumps, and we often get complaints. This is an easy fix if your lawn was mowed weekly.

I did a lawn a few weeks ago. The young lady complained like hell. After she was done complaining, I explained to her why the clumps were there and why I wasn't picking them up without getting paid for it. Then she admitted to reading that on my website.

I do what the customer wants as long as I get paid. They can pay me for EOW, and they can pay me more to get the clippings out.

You should always avoid anything "negative" if possible. That is a terrible thing to "advertise" on a website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
Offer to mow every 10 days as a compromise.
10 day schedule = scheduling NIGHTMARE!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with posting it. They know what they're getting with eow and you cover your arse. Eow is a pain in the butt and posting it lets them know what they're in for during the growing season.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Nothing wrong with posting it. They know what they're getting with eow and you cover your arse. Eow is a pain in the butt and posting it lets them know what they're in for during the growing season.

Yes. Yes there is. It's the MANNER in which you convey your info.

What he posted is HORRIBLE. You can convey the same info without using "negative" words - words that whether you understand it, or not, reflect upon you and your business.

Quote:
"We often get complaints."
It doesn't get ANY more "negative" than THAT.