Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Walker owners help please!

Gene! JRS! Joe mower! All you homeboys! So I have 50 hrs on my MT 26hp EFI and today I go to start it and no go! It's got juice because the voltmeter is showing and the key engage beep is going and the GHS is going in the hopper... It's weird, I sat on the machine, started it up...... then 10 seconds later I got up to do something and the engine stopped when I got up... It was as if the blades were engaged and I stood up, the engine just stops you know? Safety thing... But the blades were not engaged. So my getting off the seat made the engine stop but the blades weren't on! Weird! I am going through my manuals and trying to figure this out. Thought I would reach out to the Walker Army for some help... O2 sensor? Thanks for your help fellas...
Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Gene! JRS! Joe mower! All you homeboys! So I have 50 hrs on my MT 26hp EFI and today I go to start it and no go! It's got juice because the voltmeter is showing and the key engage beep is going and the GHS is going in the hopper... It's weird, I sat on the machine, started it up...... then 10 seconds later I got up to do something and the engine stopped when I got up... It was as if the blades were engaged and I stood up, the engine just stops you know? Safety thing... But the blades were not engaged. So my getting off the seat made the engine stop but the blades weren't on! Weird! I am going through my manuals and trying to figure this out. Thought I would reach out to the Walker Army for some help... O2 sensor? Thanks for your help fellas...
Mine are all so old and the safety switches have been removed, but if I remember correctly the parking brake has to be on anytime you want to get off the mower when it is running. Hope this helps bud.

Last edited by CurbAppealKS; 07-20-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
My mower is old and does not have as many safety switches as the new ones. I just did some work on a Craftsman rider for a lady up the street. Her rider did the same thing, engin shut off when I went to get off unit. Real pain. The techs must have some sort of jumper wire system to work on it while it is running.

Talk to your dealer. He should be able to get you straightened out on the switches.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies gentleman...... My old boss had an EFI from probably 2003 or something and it would do this too.... We would take it to the dealer and they would fix it in 2 seconds... My dealer, unfortunately, is about an hour away with a ferry ride! I know, I know, that's not too bad.,.. Some guys have to drive farther. Does Walker only sell the diagnostics for the EFI's to dealers? It would be great to just plug this gal in and find out what's up.... Now when I go to start it the engine light comes on, AND THE OIL LIGHT!!!! WTF!! I had literally just topped the oil off 2 days ago with about 1/10 of a quart and the oil level is perfect... While I know that I can take it to the dealer, I am trying to avoid it.. hahahahah .... Any ideas?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the Carl Childer's approach: Check that your forward control lever isn't pressed forward (my machine does this a lot). If that isn't the issue, then listen for any sort of clicking when you turn the key over: May be a blown fuse block
Old 07-20-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
For the Carl Childer's approach: Check that your forward control lever isn't pressed forward (my machine does this a lot). If that isn't the issue, then listen for any sort of clicking when you turn the key over: May be a blown fuse block
What he said, I had the speed control do this to me the other day. It kinda sounds like you have a something shorting out in there since its doing random goofy stuff.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Armsden&Son- Sorry I'm late to the party... I just got the invite. Definitely sounds like a safety switch. Don't worry about the oil light... it will alert you because it senses low oil pressure since your engine is not running. Most likely not your O2 sensor either for the engine will usually re-start after it cools down a bit. There is no sensor on the parking break so don't worry about that either. More than likely it is one of three switches. The seat, the speed control, or the PTO lever. You can test all of these one by one easily by disconnecting the wire plug on each switch and inserting a fuse into the end of the connector tricking it to believe that you have a complete circuit. Try each switch individually until you find the one that is causing the problem. Once you find the faulty one you can leave the fuse in place and the wires disconnected until you can get a new safety switch. Be aware when you order a new that there are two different types of safety switches though all three look the same. The seat and speed control switches are the same but the PTO switch is different if I can recall. These pin switches can go bad when dust and moisture get down inside of them. Sometimes you can jiggle with a little bit and get them to work again but it's best just to replace them and have a spare on hand. If none of that works feel free to PM me your number and I will try to talk you through some other tricks.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Just read your first post again... did you say the dispersing chute in the hopper is still going while the blade PTO is in the off position when you turn the key on? If so it's most likely the PTO Safety switch. If it is faulty it will act like the blade are still on keeping the engine from starting but still will allow the chute to work. The seat switch is working properly for when you got of the machine it sensed the blades were still engaged and therefore properly killed the engine for your safety.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow!!!! Amazing info guys!!!! Haha Carl Childer!!! This was the first thing that I checked unfortunately..... Joe Mower..... You are awesome! This is a wealth of info! I am going out with the fam for a bit but I can't wait until I get back so I can test what you said..... and I have to check again but I am almost 100% sure that the dispersing chute is going because I can hear it... didn't visually inspect but I can hear it moving.... I honestly can't thank you guys enough for responding.... I will get back with an update later this evening....
Old 07-21-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure forward speed control lever is in neutral ( pulled all the way back) and parking brake is on i have 4 walkers and thats usually what happens to me .