Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

walker mtl31 - want to pull trigger but need more info.

Im looking at getting a new mower and so far have been attracted to the walker hut am not 100% sold on the walker mtl31.

Pros: trim both sides of deck. Great at picking up clippings/leaves/ect. A lot lighter than many other top grade mowers (845 lbs for 48 yet I will b looking at a larher sized deck). Leaves an awesome cut.

Cons: not sure how great it is on slopes? Heard it clogs easy? Only 7mph ground speed (this one kills me).

All of this information I gathered from online. Ive seen a a few big lco's running them.I am looking to demo this weekend if I can make time. Anyone have this model mower or experience with this mower ? The dealer also sells ferris so i guess will also be demoing the is3100. Any advice on this more I can get would he great !
Old 07-20-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Im looking at getting a new mower and so far have been attracted to the walker hut am not 100% sold on the walker mtl31.

Pros: trim both sides of deck. Great at picking up clippings/leaves/ect. A lot lighter than many other top grade mowers (845 lbs for 48 yet I will b looking at a larher sized deck). Leaves an awesome cut.

Cons: not sure how great it is on slopes? Heard it clogs easy? Only 7mph ground speed (this one kills me).

All of this information I gathered from online. Ive seen a a few big lco's running them.I am looking to demo this weekend if I can make time. Anyone have this model mower or experience with this mower ? The dealer also sells ferris so i guess will also be demoing the is3100. Any advice on this more I can get would he great !
The walker is not a high production mower, it never has been. And they are not good on slopes at all. That being said, I will always have a use for them. There are many guys that bash them, but they are a solid choice for those who need what they provide.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
The walker is not a high production mower, it never has been. And they are not good on slopes at all. That being said, I will always have a use for them. There are many guys that bash them, but they are a solid choice for those who need what they provide.
Hows the bagging of wet grass? Does it clog easy ?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Like CurbAppealKS stated not a high production mower... unless you need to be bagging. It's pretty dawn good at doing that and is more productive in that aspect. The GHS is fair on hills once you are comfortable with the machine. I would like to add though that you may want to stay away from the MTL31. You don't need it. The MT26 EFI is you best bang for your buck. We had the 31 and though the power was nice (overkill) it added unnecessary weight and maintenance to the machine. We also had major coolant leak problems that kept re-appearing. Save the money and head aches and get the 26 efi.

Now with all that said, check out the MB and MBS models if you are looking for a good production and hill machine. We got away from the GHS units by using the mulching decks on the MB and MBS with great success. They are a bit cheaper too.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
Like CurbAppealKS stated not a high production mower... unless you need to be bagging. It's pretty dawn good at doing that and is more productive in that aspect. The GHS is fair on hills once you are comfortable with the machine. I would like to add though that you may want to stay away from the MTL31. You don't need it. The MT26 EFI is you best bang for your buck. We had the 31 and though the power was nice (overkill) it added unnecessary weight and maintenance to the machine. We also had major coolant leak problems that kept re-appearing. Save the money and head aches and get the 26 efi.

Now with all that said, check out the MB and MBS models if you are looking for a good production and hill machine. We got away from the GHS units by using the mulching decks on the MB and MBS with great success. They are a bit cheaper too.
What are the major differences between the mt31 and mt26? Also, do the mb and mbs units have bagging capability ?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
What are the major differences between the mt31 and mt26? Also, do the mb and mbs units have bagging capability ?
The only difference between the two is horsepower and the MTL31 is liquid cooled. We have had many of the 26 EFI's and they have plenty of power, fuel efficient, and reliable. We've only tried one 31 hp and that was enough for us.

The MB and MBS do not have bagging capabilities although you can purchase an aftermarket bagging kit for the MBS. We always thought we needed to bag too until we used the MB & MBS with mulching decks. Our clients can't tell the difference and the lawns have been healthier. Something really worth looking into. Go to Walkers website and check them out. Then schedule a demo. I think you will be surprised. But of course try them all out and buy what best fits your needs. Don't just try them in the dealer's parking lot either. Get those machines out on your properties for a true test.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
The only difference between the two is horsepower and the MTL31 is liquid cooled. We have had many of the 26 EFI's and they have plenty of power, fuel efficient, and reliable. We've only tried one 31 hp and that was enough for us.

The MB and MBS do not have bagging capabilities although you can purchase an aftermarket bagging kit for the MBS. We always thought we needed to bag too until we used the MB & MBS with mulching decks. Our clients can't tell the difference and the lawns have been healthier. Something really worth looking into. Go to Walkers website and check them out. Then schedule a demo. I think you will be surprised. But of course try them all out and buy what best fits your needs. Don't just try them in the dealer's parking lot either. Get those machines out on your properties for a true test.
Joe, im in the upstate ny area and the grass here is tough to ger away with kot bagg I ng but then again ive never ran a kower that had a nice set of mulch blades either. Where are you from and how have you faired with spring cutting ? Also how do u deal with the leaves in the fall ? Do they fet mulched real fine as not to notice the lawn wasnt bagged ? (When theres a lottle bit of leaves of course, not talking about getting around a fall cleanup).
Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Joe, im in the upstate ny area and the grass here is tough to ger away with kot bagg I ng but then again ive never ran a kower that had a nice set of mulch blades either. Where are you from and how have you faired with spring cutting ? Also how do u deal with the leaves in the fall ? Do they fet mulched real fine as not to notice the lawn wasnt bagged ? (When theres a lottle bit of leaves of course, not talking about getting around a fall cleanup).
We're and MD and cut similar grass as you. We've been 100% mulching for at least 3 full seasons now. Been dabbling with mulching throughout my 30yrs in the biz but never had true success with mulching until Walker came out with their latest round of mulching decks. Had some luck with Toro's Grandstands and their mulching kit but nothing like the Walker. We spoiled our clients for years bagging with the GHS units then treid to switch to the Toros. Man were are client's happy when we brought back the "yellow machines." Little did they know we weren't bagging anymore.

As far as the leaves go... a light coating of them can be mulched up to dust in a couple of passes. Still faster than bagging. Once they get too deep we just blow them to the curb and suck them up into our trucks. We make more money doing a leaf removal job than trying to bag them up with a Walker for the same cost of a lawn mowing.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Joemower speaks the truth. One thing to take notice on is that they do like to get plugged up when bagging thick, wet grass. Going slower helps with this, but if you own a walker you will be really good at lifting the deck and cleaning the tube out; As well as the tube inside the hopper. You will see this when bagging leaves as well, it really can't be helped.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to barge in, but how is the maintenance on something like the MBK compared to the grass handling models? I have been looking at smaller machines for smaller lawns and I like the fact the MBK comes in at about 800 lbs. And that a 23 EFI is available.