Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2013, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Sorry to barge in, but how is the maintenance on something like the MBK compared to the grass handling models? I have been looking at smaller machines for smaller lawns and I like the fact the MBK comes in at about 800 lbs. And that a 23 EFI is available.
I just spoke with joemower last week, he owns the mb and mbs. He said that the mb model as well as the mbs are both much easier to work on as there is more room inside the frame. This is because there is no blower for the ghs unit.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I run walker mowers and live in the Albany area. check your private messages.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

since your mulching the clippings do you find it a pain when you are shooting them everywhere? In the mulch beds/walkway/ cars/side of housing? Or is it not the big of a stream of grass with the blades that are fitted on the deck? I know if i mulch with my s50x (which is not equiped with mulch blades) it just does all over the place. I tend to have to walk around after and blow out mulch/rock beds delicately as to not blow out the material in the beds. Just wondering really
Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Sorry to barge in, but how is the maintenance on something like the MBK compared to the grass handling models? I have been looking at smaller machines for smaller lawns and I like the fact the MBK comes in at about 800 lbs. And that a 23 EFI is available.
Keith- Maintenance on the MBK is a breeze. Just like CurbAppealKS stated the frame design is wide open with easy access to everything compared to the GHS. Walker really did their homework on this one. As for cutting your smaller yards... I wouldn't want any other machine. Out of all of the mowers that I have owned over my career, the MBK 23efi certainly has been my favorite.

RonWin- As for the GHS clogging up, it will happen in the right conditions. The newer models with the bigger blower seem to do a better job than the old machines. There are things that will help. When I was using them they didn't plug up that often but when my men would use them they would. The case there was improper awareness. They just didn't pay attention to the machine. You can tell when the Walkers are about to clog up from listening to the sound of the airflow. It will get deeper right before it will plug up and you need to stop and empty it out. The fill alert signal will not always alert you in time. Also make sure your chutes and blower stay clean every time you dump the hopper. This will save you time and keep things from clogging in the first place. You can buy a large hole screen for the hopper which will increase the air flow and helps out allot too. Coating the chute and deck with something like WD-40, Fluid Film, or water/spread sticker when it's wet will go a long way too.

23efi yes! Just like the 26efi these engines are solid. Start right up every time, consistent power curve, and good on fuel. I'm loving the Kohler efi stuff. Not a big fan of Kawi engines. (Sorry, let's not get off topic... didn't mean to start a Kohler vs Kawi debate...).
Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
since your mulching the clippings do you find it a pain when you are shooting them everywhere? In the mulch beds/walkway/ cars/side of housing? Or is it not the big of a stream of grass with the blades that are fitted on the deck? I know if i mulch with my s50x (which is not equiped with mulch blades) it just does all over the place. I tend to have to walk around after and blow out mulch/rock beds delicately as to not blow out the material in the beds. Just wondering really
RonWin- That's the beauty of using the mulching deck. They don't discharge the grass. They mulch the clippings up and until they are small enough to drop in place. I think you might be confusing a mulching deck with just adding a mulching blade to a side discharge deck. You can buy mulching blades and you can buy mulching kits with baffling and plates. None of that will compare to a deck truly designed to solely mulch grass. With the newer Walker mulching decks we are able to do the job similar to as if we were still using a GHS system. We just go faster now and don't have to worry with clipping disposal and the yards are healthier. Win + Win for us and the customer. Just as with any style of mowing (bagging, side discharge, or mulching) there is a bit of a learning curve to understand how a mulching deck works to allow it to produce the results you are looking for but once you figure it out you will never want to bag again.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are not dealing with a lot of slopes Walkers back across a slope much better than going forward.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

On an MBK23 / 48" mulching deck they run what, about $8000? What are the popular options to get?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
On an MBK23 / 48" mulching deck they run what, about $8000? What are the popular options to get?
Keith- My last one did run $8K. The only option that I would recommend is the deck height adjuster. My first MB was a demo unit which had the light kit on it and I found that it just got in the way of the blade pto arm so I took it off. Arm rests can be nice but not needed. The comfort seat may also be nice. Don't have it on any of my MB's but I have had them on my GHS's. You don't need the low profile or all terrain tires either. The standard drive tires do just fine even on hills. Save some $$$, the MBK 23 comes pretty well set in the standard configuration.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
Keith- My last one did run $8K. The only option that I would recommend is the deck height adjuster. My first MB was a demo unit which had the light kit on it and I found that it just got in the way of the blade pto arm so I took it off. Arm rests can be nice but not needed. The comfort seat may also be nice. Don't have it on any of my MB's but I have had them on my GHS's. You don't need the low profile or all terrain tires either. The standard drive tires do just fine even on hills. Save some $$$, the MBK 23 comes pretty well set in the standard configuration.
Just curious, but can you retro fit a suspension seat on there? Or does walker offer one?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Just curious, but can you retro fit a suspension seat on there? Or does walker offer one?
They don't offer offer the suspension seat for the MB but I guess you could make anything work... IMHO, I don't think the suspension seat is worth the $800+. I prefer the comfort seat over it anyhow. I do however like the suspension seat that comes on the MBS. I don't know why they don't use that seat standard on all of the units.