Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-21-2013, 11:30 AM
locallawncare.ca locallawncare.ca is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 690
$45 an hour for two people seems low, I can average 60+ working solo, but every area is different, hope you figure it all out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
$45 an hour for two people seems low, I can average 60+ working solo, but every area is different, hope you figure it all out.
I don't mean working time. I am talking mowing+travel time. Ya we get a $30 lawn done in 10 min, but then add travel time, phone calls and all that jazz it dropps your daily average quickly. Also 2 people does not equal double production.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
It was May when I realized this. I starting taking into account that I should be looking at me working as if I was an employee. My option where I cut most all my accounts out and work full time allows me to keep my profitable accounts and trim all the fat out of my company and start working all the lakes and subdivisions I work in. I need to stop working while averaging $45ish a hour for 2 people through out the whole day and make that number $90-$120 a hour. Its rough here because the going rate is $45 a man hour. So I figured if I am aggressive on the lakes I can pick up 10 houses on a street for $30 a pop and make $300 in 3 hrs or less instead of a $35 lawn and drive 3 miles to the next one......
Here's what I would do. Get everyone on a 7 or 14 day rotation, 10days will have you driving around too much. Go through all your accounts over the next month and keep times on every stop and the drive time in between. Figure out how much extra work you get from clients and start weeding out the nonprofitable jobs (you will be surprised). The only 14 day accounts I would keep are the ones that are between other stops so that you're not adding drive time. Another thing is to not play into the I want to be serviced on X day of the week and drive 15 miles for one stop. Its X day of the week for the customer or you can talk to someone else about service.

I did this over the winter and found that my highest grossing route was also my least profitable one as there was too much drive time.

As far as target marketing be careful it works but don't offer a super low price based on getting multiple customers to have half of them drop you. I agree though that its better to make 1 stop service 6 homes at $30/week than 6 stops at $35/week.
__________________
I've never been skydiving, but I have zoomed-in on Google Earth really fast.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-21-2013, 12:29 PM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Here's what I would do. Get everyone on a 7 or 14 day rotation, 10days will have you driving around too much. Go through all your accounts over the next month and keep times on every stop and the drive time in between. Figure out how much extra work you get from clients and start weeding out the nonprofitable jobs (you will be surprised). The only 14 day accounts I would keep are the ones that are between other stops so that you're not adding drive time. Another thing is to not play into the I want to be serviced on X day of the week and drive 15 miles for one stop. Its X day of the week for the customer or you can talk to someone else about service.

I did this over the winter and found that my highest grossing route was also my least profitable one as there was too much drive time.

As far as target marketing be careful it works but don't offer a super low price based on getting multiple customers to have half of them drop you. I agree though that its better to make 1 stop service 6 homes at $30/week than 6 stops at $35/week.
Having done this for a while I've seen it work both ways. Granted its easier to do 6 at once. However if you have to drive 20 miles one way to the jobs, vs doing a route with a job every 3-4 miles, sometimes the route pays better after expenses.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-21-2013, 12:33 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Having done this for a while I've seen it work both ways. Granted its easier to do 6 at once. However if you have to drive 20 miles one way to the jobs, vs doing a route with a job every 3-4 miles, sometimes the route pays better after expenses.
In theory you would make several $35 (or more) stops along the way to off set this drive time.
__________________
I've never been skydiving, but I have zoomed-in on Google Earth really fast.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-21-2013, 01:14 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
In theory you would make several $35 (or more) stops along the way to off set this drive time.
I do that now. You have to do 2 $35 lawns a hour to keep your averages up. Its tough to do and give top notch quality. Its more like 1.5 $35 lawns a hour and at $45 cost that's a slim margine.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I do that now. You have to do 2 $35 lawns a hour to keep your averages up. Its tough to do and give top notch quality. Its more like 1.5 $35 lawns a hour and at $45 cost that's a slim margine.
You need to get your times down or prices up then, $35 yard should be 13-18 minutes max for 2 guys.
__________________
I've never been skydiving, but I have zoomed-in on Google Earth really fast.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-21-2013, 01:45 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
You need to get your times down or prices up then, $35 yard should be 13-18 minutes max for 2 guys.
Exactly. Now add unload and load up time and 2 or 3 trafic lights or stop signs. Now your going less than 2 per hour.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-21-2013, 01:57 PM
wbw's Avatar
wbw wbw is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: houston tx
Posts: 4,206
raise your prices by $5 per lawn. Just do it. Don't worry about the ones that might quit, you aren't making anything from them anyway. This will be the single best business move you ever make.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
raise your prices by $5 per lawn. Just do it. Don't worry about the ones that might quit, you aren't making anything from them anyway. This will be the single best business move you ever make.
i did that this spring. Some went up way more than that
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 AM.

Page generated in 0.08940 seconds with 7 queries