Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Man you are making some good money and seem to have a great amount of accounts. Keep them and just advertise a little more and gain some more properties. I would absolutely love to make that kind of money.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post
So by your math you've told us, you do 1300 at 8 places which means you do 92ish more properties that make 1200. So 13 a lawn for other places. Or if we go with the 12k a month figure with only 100 lawns that's 18.50 a lawn.

I'm confused.
Ugh I've said this before. Some are 2 weeks. Also with the rain we have had I've only gotten 3 out of 4 cuttings a month that and a few other issues. 12k/300 is $40 and that is average. I did not add these 2 cash cows I got last week, they were in the 4 lawns I gained that I made mention of. These 2 properties are just shy of 1k a month a piece and the are 1/4 lots.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

This is very confusing, but I think he is also confused. And I mean that in a respectable way. Someone here said you need to step back and take a look at things and I think that is EXACTLY what you need to do. You CAN make money with another crew member, they are not just an added expense. I had the same problem in realizing that I needed to run my company and I didn't have the time to do so while I was mowing all day everyday. Even if you take someone on for a few days, maybe a friend or relative. Sit in the truck, time them, pay close attention to what costs you money and how often you need that expense. The unorganized side is the wrong side to be on pal. You will feel so much better with more time off and more time to keep track of things. I'm not much older than you and I went through the same thing. I'm 26 and when I stepped back to be a better manager, answer the phone immediately, follow up frequently, keep records, visit potential clients and advertise- I (no joke) doubled in size. Easily. You HAVE the potential in your back pocket if this is what you want to do- but if you think some shift work is going to help you then youre dead wrong. You are lacking motivation from the constant burden of manual labor, you need to be working with your brain as a boss and taking your guys to the next level.
1 DTE Single Axle
Toros
Stihls
Gravelys
Lesco
Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeSavannah View Post
This is very confusing, but I think he is also confused. And I mean that in a respectable way. Someone here said you need to step back and take a look at things and I think that is EXACTLY what you need to do. You CAN make money with another crew member, they are not just an added expense. I had the same problem in realizing that I needed to run my company and I didn't have the time to do so while I was mowing all day everyday. Even if you take someone on for a few days, maybe a friend or relative. Sit in the truck, time them, pay close attention to what costs you money and how often you need that expense. The unorganized side is the wrong side to be on pal. You will feel so much better with more time off and more time to keep track of things. I'm not much older than you and I went through the same thing. I'm 26 and when I stepped back to be a better manager, answer the phone immediately, follow up frequently, keep records, visit potential clients and advertise- I (no joke) doubled in size. Easily. You HAVE the potential in your back pocket if this is what you want to do- but if you think some shift work is going to help you then youre dead wrong. You are lacking motivation from the constant burden of manual labor, you need to be working with your brain as a boss and taking your guys to the next level.
Ok then answer me this how do you make 4k a month to keep your bare minimum bills payed with adjusting things to a manageable level? That's not fuel or wages. And you all are stupid to think I'm going to post exact figues for the IRS and NSA to see lol like I said I could get you them in like 30min on my pc, but I'm not going to post them and its really not relliveant. The question is how do you go from $45-$50 a hour gross with 2 people to $100 a hr in a area that would only support $50 a hour with 2 people driving job to job?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tighter route for one, I've said it over and over. Windshield time is dead time. You're spread out too thin and aren't keeping track close enough if at 10-12k a month you have no money left when you say your base bills are a third of your revenue. That means gas and labor are WAY too high.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

You're not being entirely clear for everyone to understand. So you pay yourself 4k per month? And you were saying before your helper makes more than you? My guess to this with the all over input I have is that you are not charging enough. But I do not see you making $100/hour with you and one person. $50/hour for 2 people is pretty common. How far are your jobs between? Are you in a lot of debt? 4k per month is 52k per year- that is not bad at all for a 22 year old. What percentage of your income is debt?
1 DTE Single Axle
Toros
Stihls
Gravelys
Lesco
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

And what are you paying per week on average for labor?
1 DTE Single Axle
Toros
Stihls
Gravelys
Lesco
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You're not being entirely clear for everyone to understand. So you pay yourself 4k per month? And you were saying before your helper makes more than you? My guess to this with the all over input I have is that you are not charging enough. But I do not see you making $100/hour with you and one person. $50/hour for 2 people is pretty common. How far are your jobs between? Are you in a lot of debt? 4k per month is 52k per year- that is not bad at all for a 22 year old. What percentage of your income is debt?
Out of that 4k is mower payment which I try to do $1000 a month, then insurance, advertising (that bill can run 250 a week if I let my leads run a muck), insurance, rent payment, light bill, personal fuel, food. Those cost are there if I don't work.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Out of the 4k per month is where you pay your mower and business expenses? Why are you paying your personal fuel, and business expenses from the same account? Why don't you cut back on advertising? If you have 14h days 7days per week and you are not able to expand then why are you advertising? and why are you paying 1k on your mower when you cannot afford it? What is your helper making per month?
1 DTE Single Axle
Toros
Stihls
Gravelys
Lesco
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
And what are you paying per week on average for labor?
Its cost 15 a hour to run an employee at 10 a hour. This could be 30hr or its been close to 70 hrs before. It really depends.