Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I would rather put a piston, rings and rebuilt the transmission on a mower then spend 13,000 on a mower. I would never pay that much for a mower.
You could get on for less than that. But if that payment is taking a grand from you each month it's worth lowering it then doing all of that work to come out not really getting anything.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

13k isn't a lot for a piece of equipment now days... I guess my thinking is from the school of "get what you pay for, buy it once, buy it right..." The only times I've ever regretted purchasing equipment is when I didn't buy good enough quality equipment. Like using a 1/2 ton truck for a 1 ton dually job...

If he's paying down $1k per month on the machine and let's say he's got 0% finance for 48 months. His payments are probably around $280ish/month. He could back off and pay the regular monthly payment and put the extra in the bank or he could just want out of debt asap. I don't know his finances, but hopefully there's still money for a rainy day too...
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW_692 View Post
I would rather put a piston, rings and rebuilt the transmission on a mower then spend 13,000 on a mower. I would never pay that much for a mower.
You could get on for less than that. But if that payment is taking a grand from you each month it's worth lowering it then doing all of that work to come out not really getting anything.
Its a lot when you figure your throwing $4000 away every 1000 hrs in fuel running gas. That's 12k every engine rebuild plus the rebuild $$$. That's why I payed what I did. Actually my loan is through a close friend so its on flexible terms. I like that every tangent becomes a big deal in this thread when it has nothing to do with the topic
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

JC have you thought about going back to a SOLO operation? I can assure you working a regular job sucks.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
JC have you thought about going back to a SOLO operation? I can assure you working a regular job sucks.
I have... My goal is to own my business and not be self employed. If your business can't run without you then you don't own your business.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
every tangent becomes a big deal in this thread when it has nothing to do with the topic
Every tangent is what matters in business. How far you drive, how much you pay employees, materials, your equipment PM schedule, etc and so much more effect how profitable, if at all, you will be.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Every tangent is what matters in business. How far you drive, how much you pay employees, materials, your equipment PM schedule, etc and so much more effect how profitable, if at all, you will be.
Agreed, but when I say my number arnt what they should be and I know everything has to be redone then what's the point in posting them for everyone else to say that too?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

So I had a thought today. No one in my area offers everything. So on small lawns I was thinking I could do a package deal. Spring detaching, aeration, mulching, bed edging, weeding, mowing, trimming, edging, leaf removal minor tree trimming, shrub pruning, fertilization, hebicide treatments for $3200 a year on lawns under 3/4. An acre. So $400 a month. 28 of those is just shy of 90k a year and I would only have to manage 7 a day 4 days a week and leave the 5th for odd jobs on these accounts. Shrub pruning ect. What do you all think?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just make sure your liability insurance covers the tree trimming. Ours states that we can trim or prune from ground level. For actual limb removal/felling it can be $$$$$. Being able to be a one stop shop is a great goal.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
So I had a thought today. No one in my area offers everything. So on small lawns I was thinking I could do a package deal. Spring detaching, aeration, mulching, bed edging, weeding, mowing, trimming, edging, leaf removal minor tree trimming, shrub pruning, fertilization, hebicide treatments for $3200 a year on lawns under 3/4. An acre. So $400 a month. 28 of those is just shy of 90k a year and I would only have to manage 7 a day 4 days a week and leave the 5th for odd jobs on these accounts. Shrub pruning ect. What do you all think?
I would be careful of the $400 price tag. I did this and it didn't go over too well. I would stick to everything but mulch and lawn care make those add on services or offer a silver and gold package one with and one without.