Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Irrigation trenches open for inspection

Do you have to leave irrigation trenches open for inspection in Texas? Or does it just depend on the municipality? Can't see anything on the TCEQ website.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

all i know, is that sucks to have to do. what about pulling pipe? how are they gonna inspect that? let me guess, you can only trench for that reason?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Spailpín Fánach View Post
Do you have to leave irrigation trenches open for inspection in Texas? Or does it just depend on the municipality? Can't see anything on the TCEQ website.
Depends on municipality
Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have one city in the area where codes requires open ditch and wires in conduit. It is to the point the property owners along with the contractors are screaming up a $hit storm with the city. Lawsuits are pending against contractors and owners from kids, people and even pets getting injured.

We just refuse to work in the city since there is plenty or work without the risks. Govt idiots gone wild as usual and it is right up there with the cities code of "only a master plumber can install a RP device". I know plumbers in our area that have worked 25 - 30 years without that licence using LLP or general plumbers classification. When that code was initially enforced we were in the middle of a project.

Codes ended up taking us to court because we could not locate a plumber with the license. My defense was....to ask the judge to ask the codes inspector to provide me with one name of a plumber that was approved on their list. Judge asked....inspector could not provide one company.

In typical govt fashion....I won the case, but I had to pay all court fee's. Good for a laugh now, but I was pissed back then. Same day in court city passed a sign law stating all signs had to be 50' from the curb. Probably were 50 realtor's all had their signs pulled and were fined. Most had pictures showing the front door of the home was 15 - 25 feet off the curb which meant their sales sign would have to been placed on the side of the house.

Again, our govt officials making laws that have no clue or experience with. You would think and I would be for it if codes would have a meeting between officials and contractors to come up with codes that work for everyone. As irrigators, we do not have or are required to have a trade license which sucks. Get a business license and you are now in business, so we have allot of issues with low-ball crappy contractors.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

one city we work in, is requireing no matter how far the distance etc, the mainline must first go to next to the driveway in the right of way, and have a shut off valve for the city to use.......totally retarteded, since the shut off is at the meter pit already most cases......idiots.....and they charge 4167 for the privilage of adding useless crap to the system
Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We're putting in a soccer field where the municipality is insisting on open trench inspection and pressure tests on mainline AND laterals... yep...pressure testing laterals now.... sigh
Old 08-04-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In some cases you can develop a good enough reputation with an inspector to only get spot checked on open trenches. Not saying who or where.... But it can be done. Do it right and play their game at first and they will loosen up.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
In some cases you can develop a good enough reputation with an inspector to only get spot checked on open trenches. Not saying who or where.... But it can be done. Do it right and play their game at first and they will loosen up.
Yessiree, it is our own fault that inspections and even licensing is required.

As far as PT goes, i'm a believer in PT, even lats. Problem is that the inspectors shouldn't be requiring the PT you should be doing it on your own.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Component selection and quality of build should be more than sufficient for lateral lines.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you at? Different parts of the state have different rules, ask them when you pull the permit. Houston wants to see only the joints, you can close everything else up. They are checking for depth, sort of, but mostly just want to see that you used primer when gluing. Each inspector is different as to what he/she thinks is important as well. If you're going to be working in an area a lot, make it a point to meet the inspector on the 1st couple of jobs so you can see what is important to them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of uniformity as to how each individual inspector interprets and/or enforces the rules.