Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

thoughts on bid

I have been up and running for almost three years now. Everything is going great. Started out strictly residential and now have around 270 residential customers. Last year I started getting in to commercial and have 5 that are up to 3 acres.

Now here is where im at now. I have a customer who "highly referred" my company to a co-worker (Grounds manager) This guy in turn called me and wanted me to come visit him to possibly replace the company he was using now and now happy with. Then I found out it is a large distribution center with approx 60 - 65 acres of mowable grass to be mowed weekly as well as string trimming, debris removal from another 20-30 acres of paved area and weed suppression along fence line, building, and loading docks.

My question is how would yall quote this. Im coming up with around 3600. I dont have experience quoting this type of property. Does this sound in the ball park or way off in left field?

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have read this a couple time and, I'm sorry, I have no idea. It's BIG. If I was going to try to tackle it I would probably think in terms of adding a wide area mower and my big fear would be what do I do when that goes down. And, if I did add a machine, I would be looking for a multi-year contract to pay for it.

Good luck! Photos would be interesting. Do they want it fertilized and treated for weeds too?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I have read this a couple time and, I'm sorry, I have no idea. It's BIG. If I was going to try to tackle it I would probably think in terms of adding a wide area mower and my big fear would be what do I do when that goes down. And, if I did add a machine, I would be looking for a multi-year contract to pay for it.

Good luck! Photos would be interesting. Do they want it fertilized and treated for weeds too?

They do not want fert or weed control in the lawn quoted. They have that listed under items that may be quoted/approved on an as needed basis. I do not have to quote it right now. They do want the weed control through the entire parking lot/loading area and around any fence, docking bay, light pole, etc. I think the paved parking lot/loading area is around 45 acres.

I am thinking of going with three 60 inch mowers, that way if one goes down im not hurt to bad and I will also be able to use them on other properties. If i go with anything to much bigger than that I feel like i may be shooting myself in the foot if it goes down and I dont know how many other properties we could use it on.

Im mainly concerned about my price. Just want to make sure im not coming it way low or high. If I were to use my normal formula it would come in somewhere around 5400 per week (plus shrub trimming and retention pond trim twice a year on an hourly basis...whatever that comes to)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

60 acres is only 30 man hours for mowing. Round up everywhere you can. Its probably a full day for a 4-5 man mowing crew. Winning bid will be ~$1600 a mow