Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
What was the soil it was put down on? Sandy or Clay loam?? Makes a big difference in scheduling irrigation...

If you can walk on it without being 'squishy' under your feet then it is not likely too much water... by the sounds of it you should let it dry out now and allow the roots to get some air...

When it is HOT with burning sun it has been helpful to many different people to "syringe" the grass during the heat of the day to cool the turf at critical stress times... this does not replace the morning irrigation, but again you want the soil to dry out some once the roots have started anyways...
Im not sure what type of soil it was laid upon. When I walk on the grass, it does not feel squishy. The temperature has finally gone below 80 this week so I will cut back on the watering.

Common sense tells me that the roots only grow as far as the water is available. So They grow deeper if that is where the water supply is.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsod View Post
Im not sure what type of soil it was laid upon. When I walk on the grass, it does not feel squishy. The temperature has finally gone below 80 this week so I will cut back on the watering.

Common sense tells me that the roots only grow as far as the water is available. So They grow deeper if that is where the water supply is.
Once the roots takes hold is when to back off on the water

Sound like you have some good Common sense

When I install Sod the sod bed of dirt is prep to the depth of 4-5 inches with a starter fert. mix in.
So after laying the sod I roll it, then soak it wait a day roll it again and then I put water to it. Then next time I'm on it is to mow it apply a slow release fert
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsod View Post
... the roots only grow as far as the water is available. So They grow deeper if that is where the water supply is.
Water AND air... a common problem for sod is waterlogged anaerobic soils inhibiting root growth... water/air ratio is very important...
Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for all the great tips.Lawn looks much more healthier than last week. Id say only about 5-10% yellow spots! new light green has grown in the yellowing parts of the grass so I assume that it will take a little longer before the new grass spreads out a bit.