Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a copy of real estate transfers every month and target higher $$$ sales with direct mail.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerlawn View Post
I know the season is not quite over yet but this first year has been very slow. I so far have the dedicated contracts that clean around $75/week. I have advertised and advertised every tactic known to man door to door, flyers, website, Facebook, eddm, everything. Is this typical for the first year? I'm going to continue with our business as scheduled fall clean-ups, Christmas light install and removal, and snow removal. Any other ideas on how to drum up more business?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not even sure what you're asking.

Is what typical? You didn't even mention how many clients you have.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My first year was tough but this is my second and it is much better. When I started it was part time, not by choice. It's full time work this year. Give it time.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here when I started residential it seemed like when I pulled up to a curb all the locals pulled out mowers and the whole neighborhood is mowing. I spent some time walking and waving neighbors down to introduce myself. Tuck in the shirt and take off your hat when you meet someone. Talk to every neighbor you can. I was occasionally asked to do small tasks like edge a sidewalk or clean gutters was a real common one. Don't approach as a salesman, approach as a nice guy who like to shake hands. It works wonders being your own word of mouth. The neighbors can see you do top notch work, and they want to know who you are.

I try to gauge how hard it is for my competition to find out who I am because they will try harder than Joe A. Customer to figure you out. If it's really easy for the competition it will be easy for your customers. It hasn't taken me to the big league level, but it finds work.

Don't EVER walk onto a non customer's yard. Always smile and wave from the sidewalk and if you are invited to go further... you get my drift.

Lawn services is the easiest small business to startup, unless you want to do at-home daycare.

Purchase some market research. Amazing what those folks can tell you.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I know the season is not quite over yet but this first year has been very slow. I so far have the dedicated contracts that clean around $75/week. I have advertised and advertised every tactic known to man door to door, flyers, website, Facebook, eddm, everything. Is this typical for the first year? I'm going to continue with our business as scheduled fall clean-ups, Christmas light install and removal, and snow removal. Any other ideas on how to drum up more business?

Sorry to hear this...it doesn't have to be this hard. I'm not saying this is an easy business, but it should be easier. PM me if you want any help. I don't know everything in this business, but I know what has worked for me.

Good luck
Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

This is my first year in the biz also and of my 12 weekly lawn accounts 6 have come from Craigslist and the other 6 by word of mouth. Craigslist is free and can be a successful form of advertising if you write a good ad and don't over post. I would hit craigslist with a few different ads once or twice a week.

I will quote a job a little lower just because I want to get my name out there and get in good with some people.

MOST IMPORTANT...Do quality work and people will notice! Quality work at a reasonable price always works!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Hang in there

Quote:
The size of our county is 760 Sq Miles were the largest county in NC, downside most of this land is pasture land or has Tyson chicken houses on it another down side is there are 5 well know LCO's around. Then you have the 25 dollar a yard guys they are the ones that really hurt new guys here because they are not just upstarts they are mostly retired guys who own a commercial mower and just want something to do. All thought I've gotten several complements on our lawn care thats about as far as it gets. If it doesn't pick up a little more next year I may have to throw in the towel. Included a photo of our work
If there are other lcos making it work, it likely has a lot to do with reputation gained over time. The cheap guys are not putting them out. Your work looks good and you should hang on if you can financially. If you can't try to find out all you can about the winning lcos or even get a job with one of them.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have a pesticide license? Those things open some doors. Also comes in handy at aeration time when you can sell fertilizer to go with the seed. I have only been doing this for a little while now, but I have noticed there is a second surge of homeowners who are looking for an lco about this time of the year. (atleast in my area) So hang in there. Craigslist is good free advertising spend some time on how your ad looks and sounds. separate yourself from the crowd.

04 F-150 FX4
5x10 open utility trailer
X-mark lazer z 52"
Lesco commercial 48" belt
Bob-cat Ransomes 36" belt
Cub cadet sr621 21" s/p
Toro super pro recycler2 21" s/p
Blue bird h424 aerator
Billy goat walk behind leaf vac
2000 psi pressure washer
2 Ryobi power heads
Tons of attachments
Solo 4gal. back pack sprayer
Ryobi 22" gas trimmers
Husqvarnia 150BT blower
Poulan pro 42cc chainsaw
80# broadcast spreader

"Solo rock-n-rolla"
Old 08-02-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you approached any of the commercial possibilities? I mean the c stores and strip malls. Contact some property managers, realtors, store managers. Talk to someone at your bank and see if they have any properties to service. Try craigslist. Not just posting but check under the gigs section, where people post for services wanted.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the middle of my first year. I maintain about 19 properties right now. My city is only about 25k. I will try to break down how I got my current clients. I spent $1000 on post cards this spring. I spent about $100 on door hangers. Door hangers got me a few 1 time jobs, but no weekly clients. Focus on your online presence. I spent all winter making my site and making my business easy to find.

post cards:2
door hangers:0
Word of mouth:1
Facebook:2