Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Vride - some thoughts

SoI get a vride. And I love it. But I check the tire pressure and its really high. So I start thinking, why? Why is set-up this way at the dealer?
There has to a reason.
So here's what happens. You get your new vride home and check the tire pressure - one has 30 psi and the other has 24 psi. What the...?
Okay, check it again. Check something else to see if the guage is messed up. Nope, the guage is good. Now drop the pressure down to 12 psi. Ahhhh. So much better. Better traction, especially in reverse and a much smoother ride. But look the brake does not hold. Okay adjust the brake. Crap the deck is not level. Double crap the pitch is way off. Okay level the deck, adjust the pitch, set the pitch to match the deck lift numbers in the front and 1/4 inch higher in the back. Wow, now that all this adjusting is done the mower is sooooo much better.

Conclusion - Scag does not bother to do those adjustments - they just pump the tires up until the deck is level - and that is why you get one with 30 in one tire and 24 in the other. Am I right? Is that what they are doing?

Next time I buy one I am taking my gauge and measuring tape with me. I'll let the dealer do the adjustments and maybe they can recover that time as warranty work. I mean - 7 thousand dollars for a mower (out the door 48") - I expect it to be ready to mow.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
SoI get a vride. And I love it. But I check the tire pressure and its really high. So I start thinking, why? Why is set-up this way at the dealer?
There has to a reason.
So here's what happens. You get your new vride home and check the tire pressure - one has 30 psi and the other has 24 psi. What the...?
Okay, check it again. Check something else to see if the guage is messed up. Nope, the guage is good. Now drop the pressure down to 12 psi. Ahhhh. So much better. Better traction, especially in reverse and a much smoother ride. But look the brake does not hold. Okay adjust the brake. Crap the deck is not level. Double crap the pitch is way off. Okay level the deck, adjust the pitch, set the pitch to match the deck lift numbers in the front and 1/4 inch higher in the back. Wow, now that all this adjusting is done the mower is sooooo much better.

Conclusion - Scag does not bother to do those adjustments - they just pump the tires up until the deck is level - and that is why you get one with 30 in one tire and 24 in the other. Am I right? Is that what they are doing?

Next time I buy one I am taking my gauge and measuring tape with me. I'll let the dealer do the adjustments and maybe they can recover that time as warranty work. I mean - 7 thousand dollars for a mower (out the door 48") - I expect it to be ready to mow.
Well, I picked my new 36" up a couple weeks ago and have not even paid attention to the tire pressure. I like the idea of lowering the rear tire pressure. I have been tearing up grass a little bit, mostly in reverse. And I don't like the operators presence switch on the handle.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, I don't think I've ever bought a mower that was set up perfectly straight from the dealer.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I mow a steep lake property and the tire pressure makes a huge difference on that one. Plus the ride is so much less bumpy. I run 12 in mine. Adjusting the deck is really simple. I read someone saying they had all sorts of problems doing it, but I don't see how.
Park on flat surface. Does not need to be level - but really flat and even. Let off brake - set tires at desired pressure. Loosen all four nylon bolts that are located at the deck chains - 5/8 socket with extension. Pull belt off the chute side pulley. Line blades up front to rear. Lift chute midway with bungie. Set deck at most commonly used cutting height. Loosen or tighten the adjustment bolt (blue threadlocked ones) while checking the tip of the blade at the front left side - make this match the number on the deck height adjustment lever. Now do the right side blade at the tip (front of mower). Now do the rear of the right side blade - add a quarter inch for pitch, or make it the same as the front of the blade (level deck). Re-check the front tip. Now re-check left front tip. Micro tune if needed. Adjust rear of left blade. Receheck all. Rotate blades 90 degrees - the outer tips on left and right blade should be the same. Important - after you have set an adjustment bolt you should stand one foot on the deck to force it down so that the adjustment bolt is actually touching the fulcrum, and then tighten the nylon (holding) nut down. After all you measurements are good you can go ahead and fully tighten the nylon nuts. Now go mow. That tire pressure makes a whole world of difference.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Honestly, I don't think I've ever bought a mower that was set up perfectly straight from the dealer.
I agree. Almost every new machine I have bought over the years was not set up properly. The dealer is suppose to check everything. Some dealers are better than others.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
I mow a steep lake property and the tire pressure makes a huge difference on that one. Plus the ride is so much less bumpy. I run 12 in mine. Adjusting the deck is really simple. I read someone saying they had all sorts of problems doing it, but I don't see how.
Park on flat surface. Does not need to be level - but really flat and even. Let off brake - set tires at desired pressure. Loosen all four nylon bolts that are located at the deck chains - 5/8 socket with extension. Pull belt off the chute side pulley. Line blades up front to rear. Lift chute midway with bungie. Set deck at most commonly used cutting height. Loosen or tighten the adjustment bolt (blue threadlocked ones) while checking the tip of the blade at the front left side - make this match the number on the deck height adjustment lever. Now do the right side blade at the tip (front of mower). Now do the rear of the right side blade - add a quarter inch for pitch, or make it the same as the front of the blade (level deck). Re-check the front tip. Now re-check left front tip. Micro tune if needed. Adjust rear of left blade. Receheck all. Rotate blades 90 degrees - the outer tips on left and right blade should be the same. Important - after you have set an adjustment bolt you should stand one foot on the deck to force it down so that the adjustment bolt is actually touching the fulcrum, and then tighten the nylon (holding) nut down. After all you measurements are good you can go ahead and fully tighten the nylon nuts. Now go mow. That tire pressure makes a whole world of difference.
I'll be doing that this week as I have to mow a property with the steepest hills that I mow. I knew the tire pressure was high when it took some muscle to pull the brake on.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also run 12 psi in my V-Ride and my SWZ walk behinds. It's so much easier on slopes running the lower the pressure.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I doubt that any of them are set up the way the end user wants them to be. I'm just kidding about taking my measuring tape.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Me neither and i never ever ever messed with trying to adjust them. Tire presure - we run one high and one low. Air em up to 30 so when they start leaking you don't scalp that is biggest exposure. And no scag don't mess with deck when they put it together becausse most of us don't need all that pitch and leveling stuff. We just wack it down...eye ball good enough for government work.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its on the dealer to do that stuf. Its on their check list. Every scag I have bought the dealer pulls it out of the crate, gets it greased, checks bolts, tire preassure, adjusts the deck. Takes him less than a hr. Part of the gig of selling them.