Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

recent purchase of echo blower

So 2 days ago my starter poloun blower died on me, first started losing power and then wouldn't fire up anymore. I spent about 4 hours with the dremmil making notches to tune the carb but to no avail, the thing wouldn't start. I had 5 jobs and was seriously running low on time to get them done, one was 2o minutes out of route but a new customer and a good payday for a patio home cut.. I;m sure it can be easily fixed also found a very loose screw on the crank case and even after tightening it wanted to fire but nah..

So i knew it was time to get a good brand and spend the extra money on a good tool to make clean up quicker and easier, also more comfortable the hand held blower was a pain and i dreaded the clean up..

the husqavarna at lowes seemed high at 299 in comparison to the low grade echo at home depot, so i got the pb 265 for 250$ and was off. first yard i got to was the new account.... cut, edge, weed trim and bl....

echo pb265 didn't start. wouldn't start and for an hour of tireless effort refused to start.. This is a 50:1 machine and having no can dedicated to 50:1 i got the premix for the time being to get my work done for the day. with my frustrations mounting i calmly drove to the closest home depot with the machine and tried to hide my irritation.. "machine wont start, spent an hour trying, im pressed for time right now i need a new one quickly."
manager walks up puzzled as to why an echo will not start.

makes attempts and does everything in his power to blame it on me saying the mixture is off. i said well sir with that said i would also like a refund on the premix i purchased plus a discount on my next purchase should i decide to. He called out his number 1 guy for machines and after 15-20 pulls he was like "wtf dude you got the only echo on the planet that doesnt work.."

Then the manager comes back to say we don't have any in stock.. . however he does have the pb500t. which is 319$..
so i say well what kinda deal can you give me man. haha. he says 15% but you gotta keep the can of 50:1. so i say"DEAL!"

we fired it right up in the parking lot and i had to reschedule 1 job for the morning which wasn't a big deal. idk im a lowes man, but i guess the willingness to give me a discount for something completely out of his control was a plus. lowes gives discounts and refunds like they going out of style around here. im happy with the purchase though, it's in my price range of what i can afford and works great.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

i have a handheld echo blower that WILL NOT start....if you use the primer bubble. If I don't touch the primer bubble and just choke it and pull, it starts right up. I have talked to a couple of other people with the same issue with echo blowers, so if you run into trouble with the new one starting, keep this in mind
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Started out with an echo 500. Ran excellent. Realized it was too small and sold it but it started on 1st pull almost every time. Good luck with it.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you bought it from a dealer it would have run correctly when you walked out the door!
The dealer will also sell them at the same price as HD. I believe it is in Echo's contract with the dealers and HD that they must match pricing. My dealer sells them cheaper to me than HD would.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

While its great to patronize them, they're not always there when you need them. Dealers in my area are close to having bankers hours. Sounds like he ended up good in the end prob getting $40+ off and a better blower.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I just picked up an Echo PB500t yesterday and love it. Starts up first pull every time
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what happens when you buy resi equipment. You bought a poulan, first mistake. 2nd mistake was to go to hd or lowes and search for commericial grade equipment (which they dont sell any comm. Equip). Get some commercial grade equipment and take the beating on the wallet upfront so that you arent frustrated and embarasses when you have to leave the job site because the inferior resi equip crapped the bed. Wait til fall cleanups come around, that 500 will really frustrate you. Get a 8500z bp blower. Heck even a 770 echo would be better, although a step down.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Thats what happens when you buy resi equipment. You bought a poulan, first mistake. 2nd mistake was to go to hd or lowes and search for commericial grade equipment (which they dont sell any comm. Equip). Get some commercial grade equipment and take the beating on the wallet upfront so that you arent frustrated and embarasses when you have to leave the job site because the inferior resi equip crapped the bed. Wait til fall cleanups come around, that 500 will really frustrate you. Get a 8500z bp blower. Heck even a 770 echo would be better, although a step down.
if by wallet you mean the bank? then i don't follow.
I started 3.5 months ago. with 0 customers and no equipment. i spent what i saved for my business and made a profit off top. my wallet pays for what it can afford and still pay the mortgage and feed the family

upgrades make me happy though.. pb500t makes me happy too.

oh humble beginnings are so 90s.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

check me out, just blowin debris with the pb500t.

Lovin every minute of it!
Attached Images

Last edited by jburt; 07-31-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

So lets get this straight. You pissed away 5 hour of your life working on crap and trying to start a new blower and you are happy with getting a 50 buck deal from a box store.

The hardest thing to remember time is money. The time you blew did not earn a dime. The longer it takes you to figure out you won't earn much cuz wasting time working on junk. you need real tools to charge people money has less to do with how fast it blows or how fast it goes than how reliable it is and how long it lasts

Buy commercial tools

Last edited by QLM; 07-31-2013 at 01:26 AM.