Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&L Landscaping View Post
Interesting to see so much venom directed towards Puppy, but I digress.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of you gentleman do not like Hustler mowers, fine. I'm just wondering how many of you have actually used the new Super Z HD in a real world application? I'm looking to replace two (2) ZTR's and the top 3 contenders are Scag, Hustler and Gravley.

For me, the big selling point of the Hustler is the 5 year/3,000 hour warranty on the HD system. I'm impressed by 21cc pumps and 3 gallons of hydro fluid as opposed to 16cc pumps found on everything else. Cut quality will be the deciding factor followed by durability/warranty and then cost.

I must say maybe we are lucky but we have never had a hydro failure of any kind. Our old lazer is still all original and now has 3000 hours on it and in those 3000 hours I hate to admit this but it has had the hydros serviced twice. Now I will say that I strictly use amsoil 20W-50 which uses the best group IV and V synthetic base stocks money can buy and it is also very high in ZDDP which is one of the best anti wear additives you can get for a high sheer application. Group IV and V base stocks do not break down nearly as easy as fake group III fake synthetic oils such as mobil 1.

For me the last thing I would be worried about is the hydro system. Overall durability, cut quality and dealer support are my 3 main things I look at when purchasing a mower.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I must say maybe we are lucky but we have never had a hydro failure of any kind. Our old lazer is still all original and now has 3000 hours on it and in those 3000 hours I hate to admit this but it has had the hydros serviced twice. Now I will say that I strictly use amsoil 20W-50 which uses the best group IV and V synthetic base stocks money can buy and it is also very high in ZDDP which is one of the best anti wear additives you can get for a high sheer application. Group IV and V base stocks do not break down nearly as easy as fake group III fake synthetic oils such as mobil 1.

For me the last thing I would be worried about is the hydro system. Overall durability, cut quality and dealer support are my 3 main things I look at when purchasing a mower.
It's my primary concern! I live in a very mountainous area of western NC and hydro failures are common, VERY common. So, the huge pumps, 3 gallons of fluid and the extended hydro warranty are a very big incentive for me. If I can get the SZ HD to cut on par with my existing Velocity + decks then I will be going yellow. If they cut like garbage, it will come down to Scag and Gravely.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
It's my primary concern! I live in a very mountainous area of western NC and hydro failures are common, VERY common. So, the huge pumps, 3 gallons of fluid and the extended hydro warranty are a very big incentive for me. If I can get the SZ HD to cut on par with my existing Velocity + decks then I will be going yellow. If they cut like garbage, it will come down to Scag and Gravely.
What kind of grass do you mow?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
What kind of grass do you mow?
Blue grass and Tall fescue
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Blue grass and Tall fescue
Same as me. I have a ton of velocity and x factor pics posted showing cut quality in dry and wet conditions. Im curious how the VX4 does for you because it didnt do good here.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Same as me. I have a ton of velocity and x factor pics posted showing cut quality in dry and wet conditions. Im curious how the VX4 does for you because it didnt do good here.
Ugh, that's not what I wanted to hear about the VX4. It's wet more than it's dry here (seriously) and I guess that's why I love the Velocity + deck so much. If I was a smart guy, I would just go buy two Turf Tigers and be done with it.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Ugh, that's not what I wanted to hear about the VX4. It's wet more than it's dry here (seriously) and I guess that's why I love the Velocity + deck so much. If I was a smart guy, I would just go buy two Turf Tigers and be done with it.
Havent you read the other SZ threads? There is A LOT of discussion about the SZ. I have vids if you want to check them out.
Heres one from yesterday testing out a new baffle, grass was wet just below the surface. http://youtu.be/K0lNcYzbG3k

Have a look at my other vids as well. Of course my grass is probably different to yours but you might find them interesting all the same.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Havent you read the other SZ threads? There is A LOT of discussion about the SZ. I have vids if you want to check them out.
Heres one from yesterday testing out a new baffle, grass was wet just below the surface. http://youtu.be/K0lNcYzbG3k

Have a look at my other vids as well. Of course my grass is probably different to yours but you might find them interesting all the same.
Yikes! Double cut and it still needs to be busted up with a blower. Usually, if we double cut something with the Scag's it's pretty well cleaned up.

What kind of grass are you cutting in the video? Sure doesn't look like what I deal with here in the rain forest of NC.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Here are some pics another LCO let me take of him cutting with his super Z VX4 60". These are from another Hustler thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=178

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=179
Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Here are some pics another LCO let me take of him cutting with his super Z VX4 60". These are from another Hustler thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=178

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=179
Oh boy, if those blades were sharp that kind of cut won't do. However, seeing how muddy that mower was, this guy was cutting in a quagmire and nothing is going to cut well in that junk.