Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX12R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
I have a walker mower with kohler 26 hp efi in it ran good then last week it started to stall out but not completely then comes back and tries to stall out again. So far ive changed the plugs, fuel lines fuel filter, checked gas cap. I ran the code on the motor and it shows no code errors any ideas what it may be??
Tock,did you mower start acting like this in the really hot weather or does it do it even in cooler temps? What year is your machine and how many hours?
Hi it did it in very hot weather it was 97 last week i keep it in an enclosed trailer. Went to mow in the morning and it was fine. Then in the afternoon it started and wont stay running. Its cool now about 75 and still the same issue.....
Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So,last week was the first time it acted up? What year is machine and how many hours?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Check safety switches
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
So,last week was the first time it acted up? What year is machine and how many hours?
2005 with 1900 hrs
Old 07-25-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you still have original fuel pump? I just had the original pump replaced about a month ago. Machine is a 2003 and had 2440 hours on it. It ran like crap at idle and full throttle struggling to run missing like crazy.May want to have that checked if machine is running that bad. Mine was operating in the 20's where 39 psi is where it should have been.

Hope you get this sorted out quickly.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Do you still have original fuel pump? I just had the original pump replaced about a month ago. Machine is a 2003 and had 2440 hours on it. It ran like crap at idle and full throttle struggling to run missing like crazy.May want to have that checked if machine is running that bad. Mine was operating in the 20's where 39 psi is where it should have been.

Hope you get this sorted out quickly.
Fuel pump was replaced in april this year.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh,can you use your walker at all ? Do you notice that your engine runs rich?Sometimes,with or without the right wind,you can smell it,especially on hotter days when the motor does not need as much fuel . It can run rich without throwing a code.Grounding problems can cause this.

In march of 2004,Kohler put out a service bulletin on proper grounding of 26 EFI motors.They have upgrade kits depending on the computer you have and the time of production.

May be something to check out also.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a similar issue with my 27 Kohler (not efi) and it was a bad coil pack after replacing plugs, filters, cleaning carb. drove us crazy trying to find the problem.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

the machine is 2 yr old and would die just after start up . repeated starts I could get it to run then die later, just shut off took many tries to get going again sometimes I could finish the work but eventually had to replace the relay.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryDaddy View Post
I had a similar issue with my 27 Kohler (not efi) and it was a bad coil pack after replacing plugs, filters, cleaning carb. drove us crazy trying to find the problem.
So,one coil was bad and did you change both? Can a coil be tested to see if its bad with a volt meter or another tool? Was the problem worse as temps rose or motor was hot?