Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta View Post
the machine is 2 yr old and would die just after start up . repeated starts I could get it to run then die later, just shut off took many tries to get going again sometimes I could finish the work but eventually had to replace the relay.
Jetta,was your problem worse on hot days and/or when motor was hot? Mine seems to act up when these conditions are met.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all that tried to help out the problem is solved it was NOT the relays or the fuel pump. It was the fuel line in the tank its a special two layer electronic fuel gas line the inner part was crushed from age. Went to napa got new line installed and runs great. The liner is for safety so that when it wears out it will crush and stall out the machine instead of blowing the tank up.... glad its fixed and works better that it ever has real smooth!!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow,thats great news! How did you figure it out?There are 2 lines going into the tank,which one did you replace? Would you mind sharing the part # of the Napa part please? I will replace mine just for the age factor.Thanks for posting and glad its fixed!!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX12R View Post
Wow,thats great news! How did you figure it out?There are 2 lines going into the tank,which one did you replace? Would you mind sharing the part # of the Napa part please? I will replace mine just for the age factor.Thanks for posting and glad its fixed!!
Its the line towards the rear of the tank its clear the other line is black. Dont have a part number napa by me has alot of different sized fuel line they sell by the foot. After checking the mower out and knowing that the pump is good and getting power, just checking all lines. I popped of the little filter off thats in the tank on the end of the line and looked in the line and it was blocked. Ran to my napa store came home. Turn key one for a min then off do this 5 times so the system can build up enough pressure to fire and away it went....
Old 07-26-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Its called electric fuel line 1/4 inch i.d. 3/8 o.d.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Interesting,I typed in "Electric Fuel Line" in both Google and Napa. Mostly fuel pumps came up. I will take a ride to napa tomorrow.

trock,did you change all other fuel lines as well earlier? Mine is all original,so,Iam thinking its a good idea to make the change since fuel pump and filter are new.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting,I typed in "Electric Fuel Line" in both Google and Napa. Mostly fuel pumps came up. I will take a ride to napa tomorrow.

trock,did you change all other fuel lines as well earlier? Mine is all original,so,Iam thinking its a good idea to make the change since fuel pump and filter are new.
I would just do the one in the tank all the other lines will have the factory hose clamps that are crimped on then you have a chance of breaking the fuel regulator under the fuel filter.... its plastic
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I would just do the one in the tank all the other lines will have the factory hose clamps that are crimped on then you have a chance of breaking the fuel regulator under the fuel filter.... its plastic
K,I will do that one and see if anything changes. Looks to be about 15" long or so. The line in my tank looks like hardened plastic/hardened clear rubber or something,did yours look like that?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So,one coil was bad and did you change both? Can a coil be tested to see if its bad with a volt meter or another tool? Was the problem worse as temps rose or motor was hot?
only one coil was replaced, my mower is 6 yrs old & only had 488 hrs on it. it would run normally then run as if only one cylinder was firing. Don't know if they can be tested or not.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Quote:
K,I will do that one and see if anything changes. Looks to be about 15" long or so. The line in my tank looks like hardened plastic/hardened clear rubber or something,did yours look like that?
Thats the one also best to replace the filter on the end too