Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

new website

Does anybody have any tips in how to utilize a website to gain business?
cadillaclawn.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2014, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyorwig View Post
Does anybody have any tips in how to utilize a website to gain business?
cadillaclawn.com
Posted via Mobile Device
What does the rest of your marketing consist of? I think you'll find it easier for people to weigh in if they know this.

A few quick points about your site:

- This one is about your company name: You can be Cadillac Lawn Care, no problem. You cannot be Cadillac Lawn care with that logo. It's inevitable that you're going to get a Cease & Desist letter from the friendly attorneys at General Motors/Cadillac.

- Your domain name is cadillaclawn.com and not WWW,cadillaclawn.com. In the eyes of the search engines, those are two different sites. As such, you never want to list your site anywhere as WWW, as you did in the "Introduce Yourself to Lawnsite" sub forum. Don't do it on forums. Don't do it on any directory sites you list yourself on. Get in the practice of using only one address, and that's the nonWWW.

- So, about your site... The reality is, your site is all visual fluff, with no real value to the search engines or visitors. You have a ton of (widely-used) stock photography. The home page has a bit of content. The slider, I'll address in a bit. The Services page, arguably your most important, has pretty much no content. Just a ton of pictures of services. And real pictures trump obvious stock photos any day of the week. But, you have a good start that should be very easy to advance.

- You have an expanding widget bar above the header (the little, right corner + bit). It's not doing anything. Even if you have something in there, people aren't seeing that, nor are they intuitively heading to click it. If you want a bar up there, have it always visible.

- Get a large phone number up top.

- I'd recommend rearranging your menu bar options and get Services to the first slot next to Home. Don't bury your moneymaker.

- The home page slideshow takes up 85% of my visual screen, but it actually has pretty much zero value to a visitor. It's not engaging me. It's not telling me anything that the rest of the site, or common sense, doesn't. It's not clickable, therefore it's not navigable to, say, an irrigation service page you seem to be trying to make me aware of. It's not giving me any promotions. It's just...there.

Fwiw, sliders tend to be a very bad idea, mostly for the reasons I just mentioned. Something shouldn't just exist for the sake of existing. The question to you would be, "Why is it on your site?" and the answer cannot be "Because I thought it looks cool.". The reality is that they just don't convert clicks. If you look around the popular sites that know how to sell, you don't see them, at least in this formerly popular iteration. Nowadays, I only see them as a legacy of the previously popular, "that looks cool!" era of every template having them.

- For an intro to SEO, read this and apply what you learn: http://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

- Then fix your TITLE tags. For example
cadillaclawn.com | Mid Missouri Lawn Care Services
Services | cadillaclawn.com
- Then write actual content.

- Claim every off-site citation/direction listing you can. Hit https://moz.com/local/search and see what you can grab. Google/Yahoo/Bing Local Pages, etc. You're in a pretty competitive market and you're going to need every bit of ammo available to you.

- Delete your Hello world! Wordpress sample page. Then go in to Webmaster Tools and remove it from search. If you don't have a WMT account, hit Google and create one. Same for Analytics.

- Half of your site (2 of 4 pages) are essentially the same contact form.

- The footer menu is below the "Proudly powered by whoever" dealio. I would lose that all together. If you need to keep it, move it below your own site's elements.

- I see that you don't actually own your domain name. Your web guy does. You really need to own this. "My web guy" should never, ever, never (ever) own your domain name.

- I hope you didn't pay too much for the site. I figured "Looks good for a DIY effort, even if it is severely lacking in all areas. At least it's a solid start to build upon.". Now that I see you seem to have hired it out, I really hope you didn't pay much. That's two hours, or less, of actual work.

Basically, if a legit web person did your site, there's exactly zero reason I should have written a few hundred words on the shortcomings. Some of the issues are so basic as to be simply ponderous...for a web "pro" to have made. (This also illustrates how I review sites. I start at the top and move down. Had I started at the bottom, I could have just said, "Call your web guy and tell him to do what you probably paid him to do." )

Questions or clarifications needed, just yell. Now, go get control of your domain name!

Last edited by tonygreek; 11-01-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One other thing I forgot to mention is your web hosting seems sub par or is experience technical issues. Your home page is surprisingly light weight, at only 1.22MB. There are 50 server calls, which is probably a bit excessive, but I can't get any better than a 6.4 second load time. The high I've seen for it is 8.9 seconds. I've also seen a couple of 500 Internal Server Errors where your site won't load at all. I also get the Wordpress "Cannot connect to database" error.

If your site's down, or slow, it's not doing much for you. These are things that Google bot will notice as well. I'd address this with your web guy sooner rather than later.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
One other thing I forgot to mention is your web hosting seems sub par or is experience technical issues. Your home page is surprisingly light weight, at only 1.22MB. There are 50 server calls, which is probably a bit excessive, but I can't get any better than a 6.4 second load time. The high I've seen for it is 8.9 seconds. I've also seen a couple of 500 Internal Server Errors where your site won't load at all. I also get the Wordpress "Cannot connect to database" error.

If your site's down, or slow, it's not doing much for you. These are things that Google bot will notice as well. I'd address this with your web guy sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the feedback. Paid around $1000 for the site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2014, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1k??
Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I really hope that didn't include the guy coming up with the logo. For someone that claims 12 years of print and graphic design, he should know trademark infringement when he sees it.

First, did you know you were buying a straight install of an off the shelf template? I'm not much for ripping prices, as there can be a lot of unknowns, but if that's a completed site, and the entirety of what you were to receive, you got taken for a ride. $400 to $500/hour for a site built using an off the shelf theme and, inexplicably, a drag 'n drop site builder, is a bit steep. If you're curious, it's the $63 X Icon theme and a drag 'n drop plugin to do...I'm not sure what.

Basically, there's not one bit of that site that says it was developed by anyone with legitimate skill in web dev or SEO. In fact, looking at his own site and resume, he seems to drastically overstate his skills.

Sorry about this reality, but I'm sure this sub can get you on the right track. You have a foundation, it just needs a bit of fixing and additions.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking at the web designers site. hosting starting @ $45 a month.. Hope thats not what the OP is paying. Its pretty dang slow. I am just a lawn jockey, i think i could have loaded up wordpress, rolled my head across the keyboard a few times and made that site. Having a hard time believing a professional created it.