Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-04-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

skipped page 2 and skimmed page 3.
to me it sounds like you have the right mentality towards running a profitable business and expanding that business, but all of your dilemmas are family related... aaand they have no idea what it takes to run a lco. so to put it simply run your business and keep doing what you are doing, but as far as your family, try to take the time to make them understand how your business works, how you want to run it and price it, and why you have to price it like that, bring up some of your competitors numbers to help them understand.
as far as the religion aspect goes... your mowing for dollas not mowing for jesus because jesus doesn't pay the bills.
personally i have a similar problem but yet quite different, my family is pretty extensive and many have seen my work but i have not gotten a single referral from them the entire year i have been in business, so if your dad/family know people that gets business in the door (which church will often do) take advantage of that but do not let him give any numbers.
as far as sister and brother tell them you will do it at cost plus a small something, but free is ridiculous.
oh and any customer that asks for a price for lawn care without trimming and blowing, just give them the same number.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

ONce again guys, thanks so much! You guys always go above and beyond my expectations. I never would of thought this thread would get as much attention as it has! Thanks!

99 Ford F-250 Superduty 7.3 PowerStroke
7x16 OPEN TRAILER
48" SNAPPER PRO S-150 XT
REDMAX 7001B BACKPACK BLOWER
Stihl FS 90 R
(The only equipment I'm proud of owning)
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

You should politely tell your parents and anyone else involved that this is your business and that you would like the opportunity to thrive or fail based on your own decisions. You are old enough to fly around the world and catch bullets for a living, therefore you are now a man regardless of whether or not your parents want to accept that.

You explain to all of them what the going rate for lawn care in your area is. Let them know that you don't mind giving friends and family a reasonable discount off the rate that YOU have determined.

If you still live in their house, just mow their grass. That's the cheapest rent you will find anywhere.

All that being said, Im 33 years old and my mother questions every financial decision I make. There is NOTHING I could do that she couldn't complain about. Needless to say I don't talk to her very much. You know your parents better than we do. If you know there not going to let you be a man and make your own decisions then maybe you should move out. Just remember that when you make your bed you have to sleep in it. So put some serious thought into whatever you do.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Well guys, my father took my mower, trailer. And weedeater to I mow my sisters lawn. I specifically asked him not to. He did it anyways. I am so frustrated right now I want to quit. He acts like he is entitled to use any of my equipment that I have bought because he is my Dad. I'm sorry for another rant, but you all are the only ones that understand me. Hope ua'll are having a great week.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowin4Dollas View Post
Well guys, my father took my mower, trailer. And weedeater to I mow my sisters lawn. I specifically asked him not to. He did it anyways. I am so frustrated right now I want to quit. He acts like he is entitled to use any of my equipment that I have bought because he is my Dad. I'm sorry for another rant, but you all are the only ones that understand me. Hope ua'll are having a great week.
Ill um keep ya in my afternoon prayers.

DONT QUIT!

It will eventually all work out, just hope the oldman don't run over his foot.

Hang in there. Don't know what to say but if it would help you can PM me.

Im 48 and my dad died 5 years ago and I miss him very much.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have to move out...things will get better then
Old 08-13-2013, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Member

A few years back we had to move and leave our home. I hired my wife's young nephew to mow for me. The first time he mowed he did a great job just like I had ask him to do. A few weeks I was back to check house and he was mowing and I noticed his folks parked watching him and he was going so slow it had to take him half a day to finish plus he wasn't mowing like I ask him. I wanted a 3" cut and he was near scalping my yard. I ask what was going on and he said that's the way his dad said to mow. Well I walked over and ask why they told him to mow that way and not how I had ask him to.. They said that way he wouldn't have to mow so often. I told them to please leave him alone as the customer dictates how mowing should be done and that my yard looked like crap. thank goodness they left him alone and he had a good business by the end of summer from word of mouth.

So my advise is have a long sit down with family and convince them that it your business and you will make any pricing decisions.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ever heard tell of a tongue lock for the trailer? hehe
Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Like the last guy said your parents are trying to help. It took my family a few years and several talking to's to get them to back off. More than likely they see this as a roadblock more than an open door. You have to realize that although all parents want their children to be happy they do not raise them thinking that they will be landscapers. I had similar problems where they would suggest I lower prices and offer discounts, because in their mind the answer was volume and multiple crews early on even though that did not match my business model.

There were several times that promises were made for me that I was expected to deliver on, but which I wanted no part of. For example, my father's good friend was using the only real strong competition I had at the time. Large house, $100 mow, etc. One day the wife said something to the crew that set them off. They left mid mow and did not return. Calls were placed and a promise was made that we would cut it for $50, 10 days after the incident, so half being a 2 week growth. The catch was that they had worked out the issue with their original guy and were going to return the following week. So for me it would have been a one time service, overgrown, non contract, and under priced. All of these went against policies I had. In the end I did not do it and there was some feelings about it, but I had to look out for myself. I also had several family referrals that turned out bad because they were expecting the 12 year old lawn boy price and not a competitive landscape contractor price.

You are young and still in the house, being a minor you can not even run your business legally. My suggestion, is that you separate family and business, but stay in the house as long as you feel it is right and financially smart. I'm not saying stay till you are in your mid 30's. All my similar problems happened when I was in my mid to late 20's, owned my own house, and was clearly capable of taking care of myself. My point is that moving out will not solve anything. My family leaves my business alone now, but they have moved on to other things like back seat parenting my son, etc. I guess parents will always be parents, and no matter how old you are you will always be their baby and they will always think they know better than you.
I would be so offended, not just because they thought so little of you that $50 would be an acceptable price, but that they didn't offer you the business after their current company up and left mid mow. I wouldn't do it either.