Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-08-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Management Agreement?

Does anyone have an agreement already written up to use when hiring a manager to run an entire operation?

I have to go back to work ( for the better of myself and my business) and have a landscaper that I am going to hire to run the business.

Just needing the verbage and layout if someone has it.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Probably something worth paying a lawyer to write up, if you are handing your livelihood over to someone else a few hundred bucks in lawyer fees is cheap insurance. Something with a performance clause and non-compete clause for certain.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan27 View Post
Probably something worth paying a lawyer to write up, if you are handing your livelihood over to someone else a few hundred bucks in lawyer fees is cheap insurance. Something with a performance clause and non-compete clause for certain.
I second getting a lawyer. You have too much to lose by going cheap.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agree with the other posters. "... verbage and layout ..." is not what you want. You want hard legal language to assign what is necessary, and protect you from the unwanted. Take the matter to somebody who knows the application of the local laws that pertain. Way too many of these arrangements end in legal entanglements, and you do not want a haphazard document.

BTW, verbage is a slang, intentional misspelling of verbiage to denigrate the language. This is exactly what you do NOT want!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

You all are correct, and already stating what I believe too, however, the lawyer, which I have already retained to assist in this matter, is asking me to draft what I believe the document should look like so she can compare and ensure to get my best wishes, as well as my future partners best wishes, into one concise document. She will then combine, ensure indemnification where applicable... etc etc.

Fortunately, this isn't my lively hood, but rather an agreement btwn already existing companies to work together for the better of each other.

Thank you all for your concern, I am however, simply looking for any documents that exist to help my lawyer.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With all due respect, if your attorney is asking you to draft a document for her to refine, I wonder is she is qualified to put together an appropriate document for you. She is the one who should know how these documents are assembled, and what should be included. You are not hiring her services for refining and merging other ideas, rather for her to develop the ideas that protect your interest.

Remember, this agreement MUST be assembled presuming the separation between you and the other party will end badly, and with legal entanglements determining the final outcome. The terms of the agreement will be used to navigate the murky waters. To be sure, it is possible it will end otherwise. If that be the case, the document can gather dust. But, you MUST presume the worst case, and have your interests protected legally. If you don't make this presumption, then you must be prepared to do legal battles downstream. It will be much cheaper to have an appropriate legal document written now, than to settle differences legally at a later date.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
With all due respect, if your attorney is asking you to draft a document for her to refine, I wonder is she is qualified to put together an appropriate document for you. She is the one who should know how these documents are assembled, and what should be included. You are not hiring her services for refining and merging other ideas, rather for her to develop the ideas that protect your interest.
This is not the lawyer for you.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

So nobody has any documents they'd like to share?