Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

He got back to me and he still has it, but it's a 44" cut. I really did not think it looked that big:-( that won't get me into these stupid gates. I'm bummed! I may still go have a look at it, as my timecutter is taking a beating. I'm not sure if it would be worth me buying or not. Someone talk me into, or out of it.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry! Meant to say "Timecutter." It's a tough decision but if more than 50% of your accounts have a gate that you need to get through to do THE MAJORITY of your cutting, I would pass too. Which brings us back to that sweet 36in. Scag!!!! Since the Scag was at a dealer, maybe he will do financing for you..... I would still offer him a grand if you can swing it. He might bite, you never know......
Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a 36 in scag walk behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcam864 View Post
I'm a college student studying economics and finance at USC, and run a 1 man lawn service during the warm months to keep me afloat. I service about 20 properties (some weekly, most bi-weekly). The problem I keep running into is yards with 36" gates.

My question is this: would I be well advised to pick up a used 32"-34" walk behind & velke over the winter? I have never operated a walk behind, but it seems like it would save me a good bit of time. Being a 1 man show, I try to work as efficiently as possible, so I really hate spending the time to push a yard... I have seen older WB's for $800-$1,200 on craigslist etc. I would only need to get 2-3 more seasons out of it before I graduate. WHat do you pros think? What would be your course of action? would you continue to push or step up to a walk behind? I do all my work in between class and studying, so I only mow 3-4 days a week.

Thanks, Casey
echo trimmer
echo backpack blower
Ford F350
9 residential accounts, 1 commercial
Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a rather new 36" scag walk behind collecting dust at the shop. Im in Northern California, find out how much shipping will be and i'll give you a killer deal on it.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I sent a PM to SRT8, and I'm still thinking about the Toro since most of my accounts do not have a gate. I think I might be better off waiting, or trying to get the Scag at a lower price. I'm with Armsden on that one. After cruising Craigslist, those things come up a lot for a damn sight less than that one.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Another question: If I end up buying one without a velke, what would you recommend? I've checked out the Kage Kaddy and it looks pretty sweet, but I'm afraid it may cost as much as a used mower. I think I'd prefer a 2-wheel, and the larger the better. I have a size 15 ape-foot that's as flat as kansas, plus I'm a bit goofy to boot. I definitely want a velke, as my left foot has been surgically fused, and I can't take walking day in and day out. I'm fine as long as I get a break here and there, but I'm pretty sure if I walked all of my yards I'd be in pain. The fused foot is a big cause of my goofiness. It doesn't move much at all, when compared to a healthy ankle. That's one of those things you never notice until it's fused together... It's so immobile I actually had to change my prone shooting position from Olympic to Military, as I could no longer tuck my left foot in. I f you don't shoot, that may not make sense to you so it's probably a bad explanation. I cant sit "Indian style" either. Not that I'd ever want to...

Last edited by chefcam864; 07-29-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go 2 wheel for sure..... They are just way more stable and they also don't leave the ugly 3rd wheel stripe.... (Yes, I am aware that I run Walker and Walker has the 3rd wheel stripe but that's different because it's the Walker's signature) That's cool that you shoot, I don't myself(meaning with any discipline or training) but I have a lot of respect for marksmanship... Did you happen to serve our Country?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Armsden&Son;4826754]I would go 2 wheel for sure..... They are just way more stable and they also don't leave the ugly 3rd wheel stripe.... (Yes, I am aware that I run Walker and Walker has the 3rd wheel stripe but that's different because it's the Walker's signature) That's cool that you shoot, I don't myself(meaning with any discipline or training) but I have a lot of respect for marksmanship... Did you happen to serve our Country?[/Q

I didn't serve, but have the utmost respect for those who have and do. I just have always enjoyed shooting. It's a great hobby (albeit spendy) and teaches attention to detail, discipline, and especially how to handle FRUSTRATION (we have a lot of that in long range...) We shoot with a lot of former service members at Camp Lejeune (mostly USMC snipers). Those guys typically shoot pretty well, and are usually good folks!

I'm going to go have a look at the Toro. It won't solve my gate issue, but I only have a handful of those at the moment. I really need to replace my TImecutter, as it's going to take a dump on me soon, and I don't want to be SOL when it happens. I can't afford a commercial ZTR right now, so I think the WB will be the trick. The only thing I'm worried about is that I've never operated a WB, but it can't be too dificult. I just don't want to be running into stuff and falling off and whatnot. It'd probably be pretty awesome for any onlookers though.

I also found a Scag 48" on CL. It looks a little rough, but it has a grass catcher and velke.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/grd/3950323714.html

It may be a bit too rough around the edges
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Offer him for $700 for it, seems like a good mower for the price.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an appointment to see the Toro on sat morning. I have a few concerns that maybe you guys can give advice on.
1. The unit has 1,700 hrs. What are the chances the hydros have any life left in them. The guy told me he bought it used and didn't know the service history. How much would it cost to replace the hydros? I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Can I do it myself? What should I look for (hydro wise) when checking out the unit?

2. How much life do you usually get out of an engine? (I know there are many, many variables, so just a reasonable ballpark) I don't have a compression gauge, so I can't check it.

This is my 1st commercial equipment purchase and don't want to be burned. I would like to get 2 seasons out of it minimum. I currently service about 20 accounts, and plan on picking up more in the spring.

Should I even consider a machine this old?
I'd appreciate any advice or tips.
Thanks, Casey