Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

This may or may not be helpful to you, but right now most mower brands are running 0% interest for 48 months with no payments until April 1st next year. You can get a brand new 36 inch Gravely (as an example because I have the prices in front of me, but other brands are similar in price) WB add the sulky and pay around 4 grand and pay less then $100 a month. I bought my Toro Z turn on that deal last year and just save the money it was making me.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I really do not want to take on any debt right now, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I understand, but I was looking at it from three ways though. $100 a month is easier to swallow than a grand up front, and you said you only really want 2-3 years out of it so there would be better resale value, and you will have a new machine with a warranty in case stuff breaks. I have bought used stuff before and it seemed like I had a payment every month keeping it running.

I completely understand not wanting debt though.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Joel, you make a compelling case. You bring up a lot of valid points, I'm just scared to death of taking on debt right now. I'm a full-time student and work par-time with my lawn maintenance business. I'm still learning the biz, and trying to really give my customers a high quality service. I wouldn't call myself a pro yet. I really want the QOC provided by a commercial mower, but don't want to get locked into a 4 year contract when my # 1 priority is my GPA. I cannot articulate how antsy I am about buying a mower. I really just need to relax about it...

Thanks a lot, and I'd love to hear any suggestions/personal experiences regarding used equipment.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I am a full time student as well which is why I completely understand not wanting any extra debt. On a side note, I have found that online classes really help me to balance out my work load and school work. 50 lawns a week is rough when you have 16 credit hours to deal with, but only being in class 2 days a week helps a bunch.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel D View Post
I am a full time student as well which is why I completely understand not wanting any extra debt. On a side note, I have found that online classes really help me to balance out my work load and school work. 50 lawns a week is rough when you have 16 credit hours to deal with, but only being in class 2 days a week helps a bunch.
My hat is off to you, sir! 50 lawns and sixteen hours is no mean feat! Especially considering you're either a foreign language or lab to make it 16hrs. I just took Bio102 & Spanish 102 this summer. I was in class mon-thurs 10:00am-5:00pm. It was no picnic I tell you. I really do not care for online classes, so more power to you for going that route.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I ended up not going with the toro. My girlfriend's father called me today and said he was looking at a nice ExMark Metro in Wadesboro. He sent me pics and gave me the dealer's number that had it. I called, and he said that it belonged to one of his best customers, had low hours, a brand new unused Velke, they'd replaced the spindles and the carburetor. He assured me they'd gone through it thoroughly and it was ready for work. My GF's dad has been using these guys to service his mowers for a long time, and he told me they are good people that I could trust.

Now for the unexpected generosity... He called me after I spoke to the dealer and asked what I thought, and if I wanted the mower. I told him I thought it was a fair deal, and I'd love to have the mower, but could only muster about $800 right now. He said "ok, I understand. Good luck with the search" 20 minutes later, he called me back and told me he'd talked to them, and mailed a check for the mower, and that I just needed to call and set up a time to pick it up.
I didn't know what to say! It was so unexpected, and out of character for him! I was babbling on about how grateful I was etc, and he just said "you're welcome. Pay me when you can. I gotta go bud." What a hell of a nice thing to do for somebody!

I'm very excited! It's good timing too. I started looking for something to get into gates (this won't) and in the process my residential ZTR really started to nosedive. This keeps me in business, and I think it will help me to give my clients the quality they want and pay for.

Last edited by chefcam864; 08-01-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Hey!!!! Alright Buddy!!!!! Just caught back up with the thread today and good for you man! Exmarks make great machines with awesome cuts and that little beauty will do you just fine... What an awesome thing for GF's Pops to do for you....
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very sweet! I am looking at a Metro 48" right now, myself. Don't know if I will be able to pull the trigger on that investment this summer, so I may find myself with the Commercial 30, which I can put on time. $40 a month is a whole lot easier on the pocket than 2400 at once.
It is very cool that he would do that for you!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I can't wait! I put off some work today, so I'd be able to run the tar out of the machine tomorrow afternoon.