Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2003, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

For us smaller guys...where to dump ideas ? (Chicago area)

I'm new to to my own company. I used to work for a guy that was fairly large and he had very latge dumpster on his site for the debris and clippings.

Being small I don't have my own site, I'm based out of my house. So ineed to know what you guys do with the debris and clippings. In the summer and late spring, 95% of the time i will be mulching, but for spring/fall clean-ups and the early season bagged mowings I need a place to dump it.

Somepeople have said leave it with the homeowner and have them put it out during their trash day. I think that's bad business practice. They pay me for a service and at times that includes hauling it away.

I'M in the north, northwest, and western suburbs of Chicago. Any ideas?

Can I take it directly to the dump? If so what is a usual charge. And where are they? I heard there was one on Rt. 21 and Half Day Rd. I don't remeber ever seeing one there. I think there's one in Libertville.

Is there some sort of larger company that will accept my debris for a charge?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hey, check your local mulch companies, they will grind it and decompose it and use it to make mulch.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yard Waste

Here in NY I have access to a garbage transfer station they charge 30 cents a pound to take it off your hands. I use them only until my normal dumping area dries up (farmers field) I pass him $10 a load and we are both happy.
Some things to try - call the DPW and ask if they have a site where you can dispose of yard waste. Look for composting facilities you might be able to dump for a nominal fee. I do not think you will be so lucky as to find a farmer who will take your trash in Chicago, good luck.
BobR

Old 04-03-2003, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

A lot of guys just leave the stuff for their trash guy to take. In my town I pay per bag! (most pay a straight monthly fee no matter how much they put out). at $1.50 per bag, pluss the cost of the mandatory kraft type bag it ain't cost effective for me to do that.....guess i'll be looking up either tranfer stations or composte companys?
Old 04-03-2003, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

i just called my local transfer station and here's the deal with them $50 for 1 ton fee with a $50 minimum. How's this sound? that's like 2.5 cents a lb.

How many 44 gallon cans of grass and debri you all think would take to equal 1 ton?
Old 04-03-2003, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

quantity

look at it this way, my 3/4 ton pickup with an 8 ft box and 12" height extensions wont hold 2000 pounds of yard waste (leaves and grass) so you are looking at $50 per pickup truck load - thats a lot of money.. Now if you have a dump trailer that you can load over a ton into you are talking a different story and it becomes economical.. Another thing to consider is informing your customers that there will be a $50 charge for each load of trash removed and this will be on top of your normal $ per hour charge, at this point they might want to start bagging (they buy the bags) you get your normal per hour rate for filling and curbing the bags.
Just remember you are not in business to lose money.

Did you try the Department Of Public Works ? They have to put what they collect somewhere, maybe you can get access?

BobR

Old 04-03-2003, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok.....contacted Illinois EPA and they gave me a list of about 70 dump sites in the chicago area. Found 2 that are VERY close by and a lot more reasonable. One was $46/ton with no minimum. I bring in 200lbs, i get charged 200 lbs.

The other is 15/yard. will try them both out to see which is a better deal one the mowing season really statrts going.

Still 75% brown grass, but the green is showing!!!!! another week or 2 and we'll be going strong.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check county

for municiple recycling sites. We have two in town and it's $16 a ton for commercial vs $52 at the local landfill!:blob3: :blob4: :blob1:
Old 04-06-2003, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

PUGSLY

Good work - I never thought of the EPA, they certainly would know about any legal local dump sites. By the pound and no minimum is the way to go, just remember to pass on the charge for dumping plus your hourly rate..
BobR

Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Can you please share the info so that i can use the facility? thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsly View Post
Ok.....contacted Illinois EPA and they gave me a list of about 70 dump sites in the chicago area. Found 2 that are VERY close by and a lot more reasonable. One was $46/ton with no minimum. I bring in 200lbs, i get charged 200 lbs.

The other is 15/yard. will try them both out to see which is a better deal one the mowing season really statrts going.

Still 75% brown grass, but the green is showing!!!!! another week or 2 and we'll be going strong.
Can you please share the info so that i can use the facility? thanks!