Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use QuickBooks, and send out Invoices at the end of every month. Only when there is a question about payments, or some need of having a back history, do I use a Statement. A Statement is always used as a secondary document. The Invoice is the primary one on which the customer pays against.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Invoices for current pay customers. I only print statements when a customer has several invoices outstanding..
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been trying to add an Account Summary to my Invoices too, but I haven't been able to locate the option. What version of Quickbooks are you using?
Old 02-15-2014, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogansLawnCare View Post
I've been trying to add an Account Summary to my Invoices too, but I haven't been able to locate the option. What version of Quickbooks are you using?
A Statement will give you an account summary.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Member

For those of you who use invoice, how do you invoice a month of lawn care for instance? Do you invoice each cut or just sum it up as 5 cuts.

I been using statements for the last two year for my weekly lawn care and snow plowing because it list the dates we provided the service. This method makes sense but some people can't follow it.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskier1986 View Post
For those of you who use invoice, how do you invoice a month of lawn care for instance? Do you invoice each cut or just sum it up as 5 cuts.

I been using statements for the last two year for my weekly lawn care and snow plowing because it list the dates we provided the service. This method makes sense but some people can't follow it.
You can just enter the service dates on the invoices as well, the only time we send a statement is for overdue invoices.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I've added a field called "Total Amount Due" which includes the current invoice and any outstanding balance. If the 2 balances don't match thet also get a statement explaining why

Adding the "Account Summary" would be a simple way to combine both forms.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I "invoice" off of statement charges. I switched the wording on top of my statements to read invoices. When I do monthly billing I click include all open transactions as of statement date. It will list all unpaid services. I'm sure there may be an easier way, but when I started using QB 4 or 5 years ago, I couldn't get a clear answer as to how I could enter multiple transactions for a single customer over the course of the month, so I did it this way and has worked great for me.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've used the Invoice method of QB for many years. I bill monthly for all work done during the month. The Invoice includes a visit-by-visit, item-by-item, accounting for what is owed for products and/or services for the month.

On the first transaction of the month (e.g. first grass cutting), I open an Invoice for that customer. I make an entry for that transaction (e.g. 4/1/2014 Grass cutting .... 40.00). I close the Invoice. I do this for each customer. On the second transaction, I open the same Invoice, and add one more line item to the work description (e.g. 4/8/2014 Grass cutting .... 40.00). I continue this for each visit for the month.

After the last visit is made for the month, I print/send the Invoice, and change the status from Final to Pending. What the customer sees is one invoice, with a line itemization of each charge for the month. When I get payment, the status is changed from Pending to Final, and the payment is recorded as Payment Received.

This works well for me.

I only use a Statement if a customer needs a more complete history of multiple invoices. Each Invoice is listed, along with the line items on that invoice. Also, each payment that has been received is listed. I only do this if there is a question about past invoices and/or payments. For me, this is a problem because the Statement will list the Item. In my case, I have customer set as a sub-Item, that includes the fixed charge. It looks like mowcust1, mowcust2, etc. It does not include "Grass cutting," for example, rather the sub-item name. For me, that is fine, but it needs explanation of a customer will see it.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

do you guys with quickbooks not set up recurring transactions for each weekly mowing customer? This auto generates a charge once a week or biweekly as you select, and then you just have to edit the unbilled charges at the end of the month before creating invoices to correct any skips and add extra work etc. no need to enter in every lawn every day/week

Tags
benefits , customer , invoice , statement