The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Hey Mark, do you own a Walker?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Too young to have used trail mowers (how many of you even know what those are?) but I did run a Locke reel mower a couple times. I've used everything else since--Toro Groundsmaster 300 series and the old single cylinder 52" decks. 455-D, 4000-D, Walker, Navigator, Lazer, Turf Tracers, etc.
Had one. Loved what it could do, hated the amount of maintenance required to keep it running. Might have been a lemon or who I had running it or both.

I replaced with the Navigator. Far better machine IMHO.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walk behind trimmers!! Seriously? Just get a 19" Cub Cadet PowerMore OHV Push Mower!!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If standers are so stupid, why is every major manufacturer building and selling them?

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
If standers are so stupid, why is every major manufacturer building and selling them?
Because they are stupid duh haha
Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my stander... why do you guys hate them so Much?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I think the industry (golf primarily) jumped on the USGA sand-topdressing bandwagon too early (late 1970s) and without enough exploration and explanation of other methods. I think soils with high sand content are great but straight sand...I have tried it and am unconvinced. It is expensive to use and demanding in terms of maintaining it. I use a sand plus compost mix on athletic fields now wherever practical. I have one coming up soon that will be straight compost.
Sand topdressing and sand-based rootzones are used for a very specific purpose. The USGA Recommendations for a Method of Putting Green Construction do not call for straight sand -- they call for a rootzone mixture meeting a specific set of particle size distributions and specific physical properties. Among those physical properties is that rootzone mixtures be 1 to 5% organic matter by weight.

Topdressing with straight sand is common because sand serves to dilute organic matter in the upper portion of the rootzone, in order to reach that 1 to 5% goal.

If you're managing athletic fields, construction and maintenance standards are available from ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) and STMA (Sports Turf Managers Association). Those are different from USGA (US Golf Association) recommendations because they serve different purposes.

Trying to manage lawns the same way putting greens are managed is going to require putting green budgets and efforts.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Scag Pro-V...Fail! Scags new walkbehind without the velocity deck ....Fail!! And I love Scag.

As far as standers go IMO have their niche just like Walkers. When I tested a stander it was extremely efficient up to a 1/4 acre to almost 1/2 acre. If all my properties were that size all I would run are standers. They are way faster than a walkbehind(9 mph on the one I tested). After 1/2 acre a ZTR was more efficient.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stand on mower are like dirt bikes, do you see dirt bike riders setting down? Hardly ever, same thing with a stand on mower, your legs adsorb the shock insted of your spian, I can't ride a sit down mower ever agian, and I've been chopping grass for over 40 years now.

Seats? We don't need no stinking seats.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Oh, I get it! You are not fortunate enough to have ever operated a Walker..... With Walker's tilt up deck, they are just as compact as a Stander.... My 26EFI is only north of 800 lbs.... As for full view of the deck and ducking under trees, closer to obstacles and turning in smaller spaces..... This is what Walker is known for! And this is where I am coming from.... But if all you run is mid-mounts, I guess a stander would benefit you... I guess...
actually when I worked for a guy several years ago mowing all he ran was walkers. first commercial mower i ever used. beautiful cut, but slow and a rough ride, and they still don't turn in as tight of spaces as a stander. come leaf cleanups they are great.

It sounds to me like you are a die hard walker guy and hate everything else. you'll find plenty of people on here who hate them, and talk about overpriced!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Imprelis. What a debacle!