Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-31-2005, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

.... Thanks C&K for the definitive discussion. That kind of brings me up-to-date .

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&KLawnCare
Off-road diesel fuel – refers to diesel fuel that is used for off-road purposes (i.e., mining, farming, marine, etc.). Off-road diesel fuel is frequently dyed red or "marked" to show that it is exempt from provincial road taxes. fuel that contains less than 5,000 parts per million (0.5 wt per cent) sulphur, may not be used on-road, and is usually used in off-road applications such as farming, forestry and marine.

Low sulphur diesel fuel – fuel that contains less than 500 parts per million (0.05 wt per cent) sulphur, required for on-road applications, and may be used off-road.

Last edited by Grass Man; 12-31-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh really jesus christ your such a Jerkoff and a damned crybaby

ROFLMAO Here is my PM back from Babyscapesthis is your warning. i dont put up with harassment from you or anyone else. Espicially from anyone like you. if you think you can handle 6'4'' and 280lbs bring it. if your behavior continues in this manner you will be delt with in the correct way.

Yoiu just bring your damn 6ft4 280 Lb ass up this way and watch how fast 6ft 139 Lbs knocks your ass in the dirt pal
Old 12-31-2005, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Your welcome Grass Man Sorry ya had to weed thru the imature crybabies that this site gets , But now people can understand the difrences in the fuels

BTW Scaby the only one doing any harassing is you harassing me , i just told you in my pm ya didnt know ur ass from a hole in the ground your the ones thats harassing so stick it punk

Last edited by C&KLawnCare; 12-31-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your 34 years old and you act like this? man seriously, get a life. typical from a inbreed from west by god virginia. get real. i am not going to lower myself to your immature level. have a nice day
Old 12-31-2005, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Man
.... Thanks C&K for the definitive discussion. That kind of brings me up-to-date .
nice google by the way. i assume you forgot to mention the part where it read that sulphur was part of the lubrication in the fuel. but....as you stated earlier it wasnt...so which is it?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
nice google by the way. i assume you forgot to mention the part where it read that sulphur was part of the lubrication in the fuel. but....as you stated earlier it wasnt...so which is it?
Scaby if you had 1/2 a fricken brain cell you would know SULPHER wont lubricate a dang Injector pump . BTW I didnt use google dumbass
Old 12-31-2005, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The process of producing the lower sulfur content raises the Cetane rating of the fuel, but lowers the fuel lubricity. The seal shrink&swell characteristic of low sulfur fuel is different than the high sulfur stuff. Some engines need the higher Cetane of low sulfur fuel. The off road high sulfur fuel I buy for my tractors has a Cetane rating of 40, while the low sulfur highway fuel has a rating of 45. copy and paste from the site.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/die...htm#onoff_fuel
here is the link read the rest
Old 12-31-2005, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
The process of producing the lower sulfur content raises the Cetane rating of the fuel, but lowers the fuel lubricity. The seal shrink&swell characteristic of low sulfur fuel is different than the high sulfur stuff. Some engines need the higher Cetane of low sulfur fuel. The off road high sulfur fuel I buy for my tractors has a Cetane rating of 40, while the low sulfur highway fuel has a rating of 45. copy and paste from the site.
You idiot you dont even understand what you read. That does not in no way no how state that the sulpher is a Lubricant , Jesus christ did you even make it past 5th grade in school? Have you ever looked at a chunk of coal and see the red/yellow/white streaks of sulpher in the stuff , Have you ever seen sulpher in a dry form christ that stuff would be like pouring sand in the diesel fuel and saying it was a lubricant , And you have balls to call me a inbreed and stupid West Virginian , Well least i have forgotten more crap about engines than you ever knew ******* .

In meetings with Patrick Swan, a well-known failure analysis expert in our road transport industry, I discovered my own diesel ignorance. It was time to straighten the record. When fuel is such a vital component of profit or loss, trucking people must have a better 'handle' on diesel fuel terminology and the way we use this information. In this feature, we will discuss issues such as:

What is a cetane number and why is this number an important reference point?
Is sulphur only a negative factor? Does sulphur in diesel have any benefit?
How can one detect that diesel is premixed with illuminating paraffin?
How does SA diesel fuel match international standards?
How can truckers ensure the quality of diesel which is delivered and stored?
To kick off, let's look at the basic requirements for a diesel fuel. They are, that it:

Cetane Number
The cetane number of a fuel indicates how readily it is able to self ignite in the engine. As a measure of diesel fuel's ignition quality, it represents the time delay between injection and ignition. A number around 100 has a negligible time delay while 0 is excessively long. After injection begins, atomised fuel particles must be given time to evaporate and mix with the compressed air in the combustion chamber, eventually forming a flammable mixture of fuel vapour and air. Injection continues after ignition has occurred. The combustion chamber then contains swirling pockets of burning fuel together with other pockets of evaporating raw fuel.

Because combustion is inefficient during the flame propagation period, the ignition delay period which causes it should be as short as possible. This can be affected by aspects of engine design but the nature of the fuel is the most important factor in reducing ignition delay.

Local temperatures and air-fuel ratios vary greatly. Too high a cetane number means fuel will ignite too close to the injector, forming a fuel rich zone around the injector, while the remainder of the combustion chamber has a weak air-fuel ratio. Incomplete combustion and soot particle formations occur in fuel rich zones resulting in black smoke.

For typical on and off highway engines, a cetane number of 45-50 is considered ideal. Note that SABS 342 has a minimum cetane number of 45 compared to the USA 2D standard of 40. Actual SA cetane numbers are around 48 while in the USA, the average for 2D grade is 45.

Higher cetane numbers may be required for future high speed engines but this will depend on combustion chamber design and particularly, air swirl within the chamber. Under cold start conditions, higher cetane number fuels ignite more readily and at start up have lesser white smoke. According to failure analysis consultant Patrick Swan: "Balancing emissions between start up and a hot engine is a major priority for modern engine designers. A cetane number greater than 40 is considered adequate for modern diesel engines."

To the driver, the most noticeable effect of low cetane fuels is the familiar diesel knock (increased noise). Starting may also be difficult, especially at low temperatures. Other effects include rougher running and increased exhaust emissions. When using fuels with higher cetane numbers, the engine starts more easily with a shorter warm up period and a better fuel consumption is achieved. There is less white smoke (caused by unburned fuel). However if the cetane number is too high, the engine is more likely to produce black smoke. This is because the short ignition delay means that some raw fuel is sprayed into an established flame, producing soot.

Last edited by C&KLawnCare; 12-31-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Does low sulfur diesel fuel have enough lubricity?

Yes. Even though the process used to lower the sulfur in diesel can also remove some of the components that give the fuel its lubricity, reputable refiners monitor this property and use an additive, as needed, to raise the lubricity to an acceptable level.

14. Will low sulfur diesel cause fuel system leaks?

The introduction of low sulfur diesel for on-road use in the U.S. was accompanied by problems such as fuel system leaks. These problems appear to be linked to the change in the aromatics content of the fuel and the age of the seal material.

Diesel fuel systems contain "O-rings" and other parts using elastomers that swell slightly when they come in contact with diesel fuel and absorb aromatic compounds from the fuel. Exposure to fuel with lower aromatics content will result in some of the absorbed aromatics being leached out causing the elastomer to shrink.

If the elastomer is still pliable this shrinkage will not cause a leak. However, if age or service at higher-than-normal temperature has caused the elastomer to loose its elasticity, a leak could occur. Engine owners should be aware that elastomeric parts have finite lives and should be replaced as necessary.

By itself, low sulfur or low aromatics diesel fuel does not cause fuel system leaks. They are caused by the combination of a change from higher to lower aromatics fuel and aged O-rings and elastomeric parts that have lost their elasticity.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why dont you two get off your damn power trips and act like civalized people and quit talking about how one can kick that others ass

GROW UP

1970 John Deere 110 38A Mower
1988 John Deere 180 With 48" Mower and 42" Front Blade
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD