Register free!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Henderson Hydroseeders

Anyone on here own or has any used one? Im looking from a small hydroseeder for small job, and I came across this brand, any feed back would be appreciated.
2004 Chevy 2500 4x4
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext. Cab
1993 Ford F-350 Stakebody
2009 48'' Great Dane Scamper 17 HP
36'' Great Dane Scapmer 15 HP
16 HP Billy Goat leaf loader
And a ton of other stuff
Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can learn something new every day on Lawnsite. Having been in the industry for 23 years and being on the board of the hydroseeding association and trading all the industry scuttlebutt with lots of people in the industry I thought I new most every hydroseeder manufacturer in the world but until you posted I had not heard of Henderson.

I did check out their website and took a look at their units. There are a lot of things I am not fond of in their design. The leg tanks they use would be one of the big concerns. I would never recommend a leg tank for a hydro seeding unit. The other concerns are less serious. They have one agitation jet going in the top. I can't see what they do with it inside but assuming they just have it pointed one way or the other inside the tank once the tank gets partially empty it's not going to mix. My other concerns are more minor.

There are other companies making units in those sizes that have been doing it for ages and are not all that different in price. The appear to be new. I think they have a few kinks to work out.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you for your input
2004 Chevy 2500 4x4
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext. Cab
1993 Ford F-350 Stakebody
2009 48'' Great Dane Scamper 17 HP
36'' Great Dane Scapmer 15 HP
16 HP Billy Goat leaf loader
And a ton of other stuff
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Funny I saw this when I was searching for there site looking for hose I noticed you had posted something about a henderson hydroseeder caught my eye. I never been on this forum before,l I saw your question when I typed there name in and this came up.I signed up to help give you some input on the machine. I purchased a 125 Gallon Hydroseeder from Dana In April. It was the best investment I think I have made in some time. I paid $1800 for this machine I dont know what there asking now for them. the one thing I would say is I wish I got the 225 gallon hydroseeder the first time. my machine does a pretty good piece of land but i had to fill it a couple times to get the job done. I think the 225 would be the best bet depends what your going to use it on i guess. I have a small excavating company we use it to patch up work when where finshed tearing stuff up. It came with a briggs and stratton motor works fine first pull everytime, very nice guy, knowledgable about his stuff. They really did a good job thinking up this machine they werent kidding when he said it was easy to move. The wheels make it very easy to move around. If I had something negative about this machine I guess the opening on top could be a little bigger when loading the material . Still very easy to use. well hope I helped you a little bit. If you end going to check one out tell him Todd from Portland sent you. He'll remember my big beard lol We are very happy with our machine!!!! , Todd
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

RE; Turbo guy I can promise you this machine is far Better Then a Turbo Turf. We tried a turbo turf out before traveling to get The Henderson Model. Turbo Turf Was difficult to move There were no handles or wheels. I couldnt imagine having to load that one of those by myself. I wheel my machine to my flat bed and push it on by myself. Turbo turfs agitation was nothing compared to the power and mixing mine did very force full. My opinion I dont see any flaws. I would recomend this machine to anyone with full confidence. The legged tank is the perfect tank for hydroseeding It drains well and it has baffles in the tank that prevent swishing when driving down the road. Round tanks swish so bad. What kind of machine are you running if you dont mind me asking
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Todd, I am glad you stopped by and happy to hear that you have been happy with the Henderson unit you bought.

You asked what size of machine I seed with. I have both a 300 gallon unit and a 500 gallon unit. Sloshing isn't an issue at all. I am most always hauling them totally full or totally empty. There isn't a bit of sloshing. I have on occasion pulled them half full and don't recall if there was sloshing or not. I could see where it would but if it did it was not bad enough for me to pay any attention to. I only use an F-150 to pull my units.

I can agree that with one 2" jet it would have more power than two 1 1/4" jets. The fewer jets you have the more power you will have but the less even the mixing action. On the small units that would not be all that noticeable and shouldn't be a problem. My comments were based on a quick look at some photos that don't show a lot of detail. My concern was more with the placement of the jets but I can't see what they do with that but based on your comments it sounds like it is fine and that is great.

The only people I have seen use leg tanks before for a hydroseeder were some home built units. I have helped a few people with suggestions who were building their own units and if they asked about using a leg tank I recommended they didn't. A leg tank is much easier to build a frame for but my concern has always been that material would build up in the legs. It seems like a spot where granular fertilizer and mulch could collect, harden and then split off and go into the suction line causing a clog but you seem to be getting along fine so that is the important thing. Evidently it isn't a problem.

I did like their frame design. The wheels would be a nice feature on a smaller unit. My 300 gallon unit weights about 800 pounds and I have 200 feet of 1 1/4" hose on the unit that when full of water, mulch and seed probably add another 200 pounds. I am not sure that handles and castor wheels would be much help loading but for a small unit that could be quite handy. I have loaded 100 gallon units by myself without wheels and it is pretty easy. The back is light so I just set that on the tailgate then picked up the front and shoved it in. It isn't hard without wheels but yes, that is a nice feature.

I believe their price is still the same as what you paid and that is a decent price. Briggs is a good engine and yes, with the smaller leg tanks their are isn't anything they can really do to provide a larger fill opening and they do tend to be small. I am not sure what you are using for mulch but you might try Jet Spray from Profile which is easier to add through a small opening.

Based on your comments it seems that they have a nice unit and I wish them luck. I may try to email Dana later today and offer some help and suggestions that would let him promote his units for free through the hydroseeding association. Sometimes with a new business letting people know about you can be one of the hardest and most expensive tasks.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I think my favorite part of the unit is the frame The tank sits inside the frame and locks it in there. There are 2 2"jet sprayers inside the tank. You should check them out. I really like what I saw when I went there. I have used mine about 5 times My lawns are up and my customers are happy so I guess thats a good thing. For that price I thought it was a great deal the other new hydroseeder was $2999.00 25 gallons more.I think they are Priced fair. How do you like your big units? what brand are they? Glad I found this site can be really helpful. This thing is so powerful I havent seen any clumps or even come close to clogging knock on wood. Have you used a machine in the winter for de icing? what do I have to do to convert it to spray parking lots.Thanks Todd