Old 08-23-2015, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Transplanting Bamboo?

I have about a 100' of Bamboo that is a good 6' thick if you were to walk thru it. I want to rent a mini excavator, scoop up bucket loads of the bamboo (after using a sawz-all to cut circular clumps of root balls) and transplant the bamboo so that I end up with a 200' run of bamboo 3' thick.

See the pic attached as to what I want to do. The bamboo can't spread too much further back as there is a brook/stream back there and any roots will simply flood out. And I control the growth of the bamboo forward into my yard in the spring by simply moving down any new sprouts that come out into my grass area.

Can I cut the existing bamboo from say... 18' tall to a mere stub 5' tall or so, and transplant without harm?
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2015, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

In my experience it will spread there all by itself. It takes almost nothing to move it or spread it. Eradicating it, or reducing it, or even keeping it under control is another story altogether. If I never see another sprig of bamboo for the rest of my life, it will still be too soon.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few stems will die but all the clumps should survive just fine. No need to cut it down unless that makes it easier to handle.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You really don't need any equiptment, just dig out as big a section as you can handle, an hack the roots with a axe, the roots aren't deep at all. No need to cut the stalks since your not transporting it. The bigger you transplant, the sooner you will have big stalks. I would wait another month.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If all life on the earth were ended by an atomic holocaust, the first things to come back would be Bamboo and roaches. I hate both. Why on earth anyone would plant bamboo, on purpose, is a mystery to me.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
If all life on the earth were ended by an atomic holocaust, the first things to come back would be Bamboo and roaches. I hate both. Why on earth anyone would plant bamboo, on purpose, is a mystery to me.
I have 17 varieties of Bamboo on my property, the plant is amazing.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say the bamboo makes a pretty great privacy fence since you can't see the house where the bamboo is but you can see the other one clear as day.

I would like to rent a Kubota B21 to do the digging so that I can take out big clumps, including the roots and associated dirt and easily transplant into the new area. I would dig like a trench first so that whatever I did out I can just put in the trench and put some soil on top.

I did move some by hand and it took much longer to do than I thought it would. And about 1/2 of what I did move by hand diggng tipped over and fell to the ground... So clearly using a digger to dig down and pour lots of soil on top would be the goal. And that's why I have no problem trimming the size down to about 6' stalks or so. I fully understand that in doing that, it might look "stubby" for a year or 2 or 3, but that's ok. This is all part of a long term project.

The reason I need to move the bamboo is I'm putting up a split rail fence to secure in my backyard and by cutting the bamboo back 3', that's where my fence will go...
Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Good luck finding your fence after a couple of years.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's ok. We got a puppy so I need to fence in the yard. But first, the existing bamboo is in the way so I figure I'll take 1/2 of the depth and transplant it down (like in my picture) so that I won't see that neighbor staring at me. And once the bamboo is moved, then I can put my split rail fence in front of it and yes eventually bamboo will grow to be on both sides of the fence but that's not a big deal...
Old 08-24-2015, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://bamboo.org/index.php