Register free!

Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

First year goal of 400 new clients

I have been in the lawn care industry since 1989. I have owned a company in the past and have managed sales and production for other companies.

I am going back out on my own this year. I will NEED to acquire approximately 300 lawn fertilization clients by the end of May and a total of 400 by year end in order to reach the income level I was at with my previous employer.

I have a very thorough business plan with a $12,500.00 advertising and marketing budget.

I have a marketing plan as well but I am interested to see what some of your thoughts and suggestions are to help me obtain my goal?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDave View Post
I have been in the lawn care industry since 1989. I have owned a company in the past and have managed sales and production for other companies.

I am going back out on my own this year. I will NEED to acquire approximately 300 lawn fertilization clients by the end of May and a total of 400 by year end in order to reach the income level I was at with my previous employer.

I have a very thorough business plan with a $12,500.00 advertising and marketing budget.

I have a marketing plan as well but I am interested to see what some of your thoughts and suggestions are to help me obtain my goal?

I hope you have a great fertilizer product to stand behind, and a large market segment to work with! Best of luck!
Doing ferts only?
Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 AM
LawnSite Member

wow! Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Sounds like you're on a mission and have a plan, that's good! Keep us posted
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crammin'Mows View Post
I hope you have a great fertilizer product to stand behind, and a large market segment to work with! Best of luck!
Doing ferts only?
Thank you!

Yes, I am doing fertilization (and weed and insect control (of course)) programs only. I am in a good market and have a very good fertilizer program.

David
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDave View Post

I have watched how the Big Franchisee start up and a big advertising budget is key to getting the ball rolling. If people don't know about you, how are they going to hire you. Customers cost money and your advertising Budget is what is BUYING your customers. Of course a good business plan is never a loser. This why franchises are generally successful. They follow a known business plan.

If you are in the Right market area with a good deal, I see no problem get 400 customers. I will bet a big boy Fert & Squirt company will lose that many customers a year. In Edit: The reason the little guy has trouble getting off the ground is the Lack of advertising Budget. Therefore they struggle to get those first base customers.

BTW that not the size business I want. I make a reasonable living off a much smaller customer base. But then I am in a totally different market area.

it is one thing to do a off label applications. It is total stupidity to post it on the world wide web and expect people to approve.

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink
Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I have watched how the Big Franchisee start up and a big advertising budget is key to getting the ball rolling. If people don't know about you, how are they going to hire you. Customers cost money and your advertising Budget is what is BUYING your customers. Of course a good business plan is never a loser. This why franchises are generally successful. They follow a known business plan.

If you are in the Right market area with a good deal, I see no problem get 400 customers. I will bet a big boy Fert & Squirt company will lose that many customers a year. In Edit: The reason the little guy has trouble getting off the ground is the Lack of advertising Budget. Therefore they struggle to get those first base customers.

BTW that not the size business I want. I make a reasonable living off a much smaller customer base. But then I am in a totally different market area.

This is correct.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's the hook gonna be? Most ppl who have their lawn treated already have someone. How do you get them to switch ? Offering a warranty or discount on the ads? Or do you have someone making sales calls?

My buddy used to work at tg , they make you do telemarketing in the winter . He used to sneak out hot phone lists we sold a ton of them ( not 400 tho)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

The way I look at it, a $12,500 budget to get 3-400 clients is $30-$40 price per client. In this industry, that sounds like a pretty realistic number. Your pitfall, however, is the lack of brand recognition. It's much easier to gain an account if they have seen your ads and trucks around prior. You will definitely need to be very calculated in your marketing campaign. Demographics, location, logo design, website, EEDM, door hangers, flyers, ect. If you are willing to hustle for the accounts, I would recommend in addition to your other advertising, get someone to create a professional flyer for you and deliver them door to door- sticking them between the storm and main door. It will be very cost effective.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is your marketing plan? I have a similar budget and wasnt expecting anywhere near that amount. What materials/ methods are you using for advertising?
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 01-14-2015, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyledon View Post
What's the hook gonna be? Most ppl who have their lawn treated already have someone. How do you get them to switch ? Offering a warranty or discount on the ads? Or do you have someone making sales calls?

My buddy used to work at tg , they make you do telemarketing in the winter . He used to sneak out hot phone lists we sold a ton of them ( not 400 tho)
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem, Every season the Big Boy companies each lose 400 customers who are looking for 1.) Better service 2.) or cheaper price.

The Big Boy Companies got where they are today by advertising, advertising, advertising. The sure didn't do on good work.

it is one thing to do a off label applications. It is total stupidity to post it on the world wide web and expect people to approve.

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink