Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've sold maybe 5-6 over the years. They aren't the funnest thing to work on. But they hold together well. But I will say that you will have to tighten up some bolts on the parking break a couple times a year. The ICD does have a great cut and they will surprise you how productive they can be with a good operator. The ferris is a little nicer than the snapper pro version since it has a better operator platform and pivoting front axle. We don't have hills here so I can't really vouch for that. But a good unit to consider for sure.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, I'm gonna be demoing a 48" model this week. I hope I like it.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I picked up the Evolution to demo. They are letting me keep it over the weekend. It's a 48" / 27hp model. It's an older model even though the unit itself was brand new. It still had the old deck on it. The cut was so-so, but I'm not worried about it because the new ones have ICD decks on them. Everyone in my family and one employee tried it out today and we love it. I can't honestly see going back to anything else! The controls were not hard to get used to. This mower flys! And it handles so much better than a normal Z. The ride is so darn smooth! I mowed my own lawn with it this afternoon. What would've taken me 30 min on a Z only took 15. I honestly don't know why these things are not more popular. We mowed part of my neighbor/employee's field which was soaking wet and super tall and thick. It just plowed through it. I was very impressed! This is the only mower I can honestly say is pure fun to ride. My fiancée kept asking for a turn again and again. She loved it. She used to ride atvs and said it was very similar. The only thing I noticed is that it brakes very quickly and we are gonna have to learn how to slow down a bit so as not to tear up the turf. Needless to say, unless something terrible happens this weekend, I'm going to buy four of them on Monday. If anyone is on the fence about one of these machines I say go demo one as soon as you can!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

They suck. I had one for a day while my scag rider was in the shop, they don't have enough lift under the decks in my opinion. And it was a 48" ICD deck with a 20 hp kawi. I was very disappointed with it and told my dealer. He said he's having issues selling them for that reason
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower
Old 08-02-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't imagine running one with the 20hp. Not enough power IMO.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Can't imagine running one with the 20hp. Not enough power IMO.
20hp on my scag 48" rider cuts better. My point was they don't have enough vacuum under the decks. My dealer said he's having trouble moving any ferris because they're horrible deck vaccum
Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been mulling them over myself. I remember the first models had issues with the controls. I like the idea of a small footprint and suspension. They have 36" model which fits the majority of yards we do. I have several dealers in the area. Ebay has a couple for 5k with zero hours. I love my standers but the prices on Wrights are getting ridiculous with no major upgrades. Plenty of you tube videos on them. I think better blades and some experimenting with the baffels will improve the vacuum issues.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I run one and love it. Flat land they're awesome. I run all Ferris. Would have to be a great deal and a great mower to get me to switch brands.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsground View Post
20hp on my scag 48" rider cuts better. My point was they don't have enough vacuum under the decks. My dealer said he's having trouble moving any ferris because they're horrible deck vaccum
I wonder what was up with the couple I've demoed.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

That is absolutely not true about Ferris decks. The ICD deck is a great deck with a great cut. I can stripe Bermuda with it. I have run Exmark, Scag, Snapper, and
Toro. The Ferris deck is as good, and better than most of those.