Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help with Building Asphalt Sealer

Hey ... Looking for any helpful information on building a sealcoating unit for my own personal use, my large yard and neighbours. Just looking to build the simple 55 gallon trash pump style, have almost everything except how to make the suction and return line from the top of the barrel.Looks like a 2" tee with quick adapter's but how to incorporate the suction tube in the center and have the return going back into the same tee, what type of fitting is this any idea's ? I have the banjo 90 degree elbow but not sure how to fit a smaller tube snug into it and still leave enough space for the return flow .... the only other way I can figure is put a bulkhead at the bottom of the barrel for suction and just a 90 elbow on the top for return and mixing. Any Idea's would be appreciated. Thanks.

Will try to post a pic.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Take the "t" out and just make the bottom the suction hose and have it go to the top for the return. Put another pipe on the other side that goes to the bottom of the barrel for sucking it up to your spray wand......
Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper881 View Post
Take the "t" out and just make the bottom the suction hose and have it go to the top for the return. Put another pipe on the other side that goes to the bottom of the barrel for sucking it up to your spray wand......
The other side is not NPT and is smaller. The spray wand hose will be tee'd off of the return hose the same as most other trash pump units.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Just plan on replacing your trash pump in a year or two. They dont last long with the sand from what i here.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper881 View Post
Just plan on replacing your trash pump in a year or two. They dont last long with the sand from what i here.
I would hope it will last longer than that as it will only pump less than a 100 gallons every other year. I can 't believe with all the views nobody knows how the barrel tube is made, or they're not sharing ...
Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Most of us don't know how that system is built because we weren't foolish enough to want one. Sand will destroy that pump so sealing your driveway with it means you will have to settle for a lower quality job.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dintlow View Post
Most of us don't know how that system is built because we weren't foolish enough to want one. Sand will destroy that pump so sealing your driveway with it means you will have to settle for a lower quality job.

Thanks but not using sand and it should be easier than rolling 6000.Sq.feet.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we did about 10000 sf. this past Sunday by hand that couldn't be sprayed, did it faster then I thought we would. I would go that route instead of investing in this.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

No sand and no agitation. Do yourself a favor and hire a contractor or just leave the asphalt unsealed.