Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Acorns falling

Was curious to know if the Acorns are falling in other parts of the country. They are all over the place here, but they are tiny. I don't think I have ever seen them fall this early, especially this small. It is not dry here by any means. There are also thousands of red Spiders. Don't know what they are called, but they are red and make the big webs and wrap up their catch. I have never seen so many. Are we setting up for a cold snowy winter??
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Acorns are falling a little bit here. Not a lot but they are starting early this year. Or so it seema
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 07-25-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Was curious to know if the Acorns are falling in other parts of the country. They are all over the place here, but they are tiny. I don't think I have ever seen them fall this early, especially this small. It is not dry here by any means. There are also thousands of red Spiders. Don't know what they are called, but they are red and make the big webs and wrap up their catch. I have never seen so many. Are we setting up for a cold snowy winter??
Very likely. That's a good Fl indicator along with early populations of robins.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The drought from last year supposedly stresses the trees and their next reproductive cycle goes bonkers...

There is a lot of evidence that 'stress' increases fruit production in trees such as apple trees actually having a tree shaker...
My guess is that many acorns matured early just in case the long term affects of the drought means a dying tree now... We have these same tiny acorns here in Wisco... Just noticed them on the asphalt yesterday...
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The drought from last year supposedly stresses the trees and their next reproductive cycle goes bonkers...

There is a lot of evidence that 'stress' increases fruit production in trees such as apple trees actually having a tree shaker...
My guess is that many acorns matured early just in case the long term affects of the drought means a dying tree now... We have these same tiny acorns here in Wisco... Just noticed them on the asphalt yesterday...
Sounds like you speak of intelligence and thought processes.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lots of acorns here as well, hopefully this current weather pattern continues till winter as this summer has been great. 85 degrees at the end of July is awesome.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Small acorns are falling in the mountains of SW PA.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
I know this thread is old but the last sentence in this post is answered.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
I know this thread is old but the last sentence in this post is answered.
Posted via Mobile Device
How about it huh? I had a feeling that the environment was off a bit when things were happening out of the norm. I have never seen so much so snow here. We just got 9" on Monday, considering we usually average 2" a year. This was the coldest winter we had in 30 years I would say. Still have had 60 degree days mixed in here and there, but just not a consistent pattern yet. Hopefully we are out of now as the trees a budding and the snow geese are flying back.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 03-19-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The robin's have left a few weeks ago letting me know winter is over. It doesn't mean we won't have a day or two with some winter like conditions but if it happens it won't be worth mentioning. Now you witnessed something in the environment that may be reoccurring someday and will know what is to follow. Also other things will be out of sink because of your record winter once it's gone. Keep an eye out. Mastering the environments sign language will put you in another league compared to your competition. Knowing what you're going to have to do before it occurs is much more efficient than reacting to what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device