Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scroll down and down

What happened? The last few days I have to scroll way down to the end of the ads on the left to get to the JD ad at the top of the forum page. Everything is blank to that point except for the ads on the left. IE8, win XP.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

everything looks fine to me...are you able to post a screen shot of what you are experiencing?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been running firefox except a brief moment the other day I opened I.E. In I.E. it did the same - A big blank white screen between the banner until scrolling toward bottom where posts started. Not a problem on Firefox. I quit using I.E. a couple months ago when it started presenting problems after updates with several forums. I could not figure out the settings within I.E. that may have been causing it. I would restore to a prior point and it would clear up, but anytime an automatically set update would occur, it would revert to having troubles.....things as mentioned and others like not making paragraphs in text boxes-all words would jumble together, delay in saving edits, not loading pages, etc. Id do a system restore and things would be ok until another update. I even stopped automatic updates but the issue would seem to crop back up eventually.

I gave up searching for answers with I.E. and have been using firefox without issue.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

have you tried updating to IE 9 or IE 10? just a suggestion as I am using IE 10 without any issues such as you are suggesting
Old 07-25-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Huh. Now it looks fine here too. If you didn't do anything it must have fixed itself. As for upgrading to IE9 or 10, this machine is Win XP so the end of the line is IE8. I do have another with Firefox, should have tried that to see if it was IE8 causing the problem, which most likely it was.

Quote:
I quit using I.E. a couple months ago when it started presenting problems after updates with several forums. I could not figure out the settings within I.E. that may have been causing it.
Have you tried compatibility view mode? You can add sites to the "run in compatibility view mode" list. If you don't have the button for it between the refresh and stop buttons after the address bar just click on tools > compatibility view settings while you are at the site then add it. It's always solved the weird problems I got from several sites.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I had tried compatibility mode with the various sites I had trouble with. It would sometimes help certain things and not others. Other times it seemed to not make a diference.

I logged bank in through Internet Explorer a while ago and the expanded white area of the screen was gone. I am running the current I.E 10 version too. On one computer with Vista and another with & home premium.

At times, I've wondered if it might be due to our old router, but I don't have enought wireless knowledge to know if it could affect it. Could the poor speed of a router's transmisisons if overloaded corrupt updates now and then to cause issues with operating systems, until it might get sorted out during the next update? Does that make sense?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No, I can't see how your router would do that. It's also common wisdom to disable automatic windows updates which I always do. They often cause problems rather than helping. Nearly all website problems are caused by the difficulty in making them compatable with all browsers and their many versions. So web designers aim for the current browsers in use.