Register free!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Late season k app on warm season

We will mow warm season til the first - mid October.

For my next round I'm gonna apply a 5-0-30 with 4% Fe at a rate of 1 lb K per 1000.

This usually gets done in August. What does everyone else do? What about your timing?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What brand is this fert?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
What brand is this fert?
I think it is something blended by my local dealer. They get things blended and put in their own bags.

I believe I will need to order by pallet
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That much K in the wrong form (Muriate of Potash) will do more harm than good on centipede. Other warm seasoned turf would benefit from K source as Sulfate of Potash. I start towards the end of September with stronger feedings of Potassium Nitrate and my last application in October is straight 14-0-46.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll second Ral's comments. Ever since taking his advice and staying away from Muriate of Potash I've had much better results. You'll probably have trouble finding sulfate of potash, even more so with potassium nitrate mostly on high end greens grade ferts which will prob be too expensive. I had to get mine custom blended with sulfate. My Ewing dealer was the only one I could get to do this.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What types of grass? Bermuda? Fescue? Zoysia? Why so much potash? Most potash is soluble--most of it will be gone after a few inches of rain or irrigation.
Are you expecting: disease resistance? Deeper roots? Fall color? Fall cold resistance?
Are you planning to apply it in spite of adequate potassium in the soil? Are soil levels mostly inadequate in your area? Sandy soil? Red clay? Loam? Low CEC?

Why not do soil tests...and ...provide what is needed at each site?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
What types of grass? Bermuda? Fescue? Zoysia? Why so much potash? Most potash is soluble--most of it will be gone after a few inches of rain or irrigation.
Are you expecting: disease resistance? Deeper roots? Fall color? Fall cold resistance?
Are you planning to apply it in spite of adequate potassium in the soil? Are soil levels mostly inadequate in your area? Sandy soil? Red clay? Loam? Low CEC?

Why not do soil tests...and ...provide what is needed at each site?
So if I soil test a lawn in the spring and it has adequate K or say excessive K, should I fertilize with just nitrogen that year or maybe just early in the year and then add a little K the last application? I deal with centipede only.

Also if I'm putting down pre em 0-0-7 carrier in the fall and spring, doesn't seem like it would ever be necessary to put down the 15-3-7 or 15-0-15 lesco fertilizer. I should always use 21-0-0 for green up?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
That much K in the wrong form (Muriate of Potash) will do more harm than good on centipede. Other warm seasoned turf would benefit from K source as Sulfate of Potash. I start towards the end of September with stronger feedings of Potassium Nitrate and my last application in October is straight 14-0-46.
I can't find a granular fertilizer that is sulfate of potash. Every fertilizer JDL has in stock is muriate of potash and has chlorine. They have some listed online but claim they can't get everything you see on their website.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
I can't find a granular fertilizer that is sulfate of potash. Every fertilizer JDL has in stock is muriate of potash and has chlorine. They have some listed online but claim they can't get everything you see on their website.
Since I use soluble Potassium Nitrate and therefore can't recommend a supplier other than Southern Ag in Hendersonville, NC.
http://lesco.johndeerelandscapes.com...ource&ID=11287
Old 07-27-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think you will have luck with JDL, I tried and they were unwilling to get any of the blends with SOP. I will repeat it again, the only place I would find willing to get me a custom blend was Ewing. Lebanon has blends that are acceptable if you can find a dealer and if the price is reasonable.