Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats mono and thanks for sharing what works for you. Those ads look good in that they show you can tackle difficult jobs and get good results. They also convey that you are a hard worker who gets it done.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post
IMO in my area, the majority of customer's on craig's list are looking for a 1 one man operation to take care of their lawn. They are looking for CHEAP. If you are not super cheap, I think craigslist is not for you.
Agreed on that one. I'll never waste my time with CL ads again. All we ever got was pikers who were broke and couldn't afford us. We stay more than plenty busy without having to weed through the crappy CL leads.

Like you said, if you're a one man op. or a very small company who is really competitively priced, you'll probably do well on CL. But we're neither one of those. So it doesn't work at all for us.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
Craigslist is amazing here if you know how to make ads stand out from the thousands of other lawn care businesses. I've gotten tons of lawns from craigslist and the calls keep coming. Just keep in mind it varys area to area. Some places craigslist is very active and others not so much.
So what is the secret to standing out from the rest?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I got 4 of my accounts from Craigslist this season. I got 3 of them in the beginning of the season within a short time and I just picked up the other one yesterday.

I love Craigslist ha I'm on there every night looking at stuff I never buy.

I did get my weed wacker and mower from there though. And my truck.

If you make a good ad with pictures and details for the ones that can't understand quick descriptions.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

In my neck of the woods CL is only worthwhile for buying selling. When I first started out I had an ad on there and it did generate quite a few calls, but all highly undesirable customers and people wanting complete lawn service for $10. I wouldn't want to deal with that headache again.
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Agreed on that one. I'll never waste my time with CL ads again. All we ever got was pikers who were broke and couldn't afford us. We stay more than plenty busy without having to weed through the crappy CL leads.

Like you said, if you're a one man op. or a very small company who is really competitively priced, you'll probably do well on CL. But we're neither one of those. So it doesn't work at all for us.
Jim,
Until we invested in our website it was just this way but we use it to funnel people to the site which either sells us or tells them were to expensive for what they are looking for.
Really has gotten us in on some larger properties, a direction I would like to head rather than the ticky-tacky neighborhood, not that we will give those up but would rather have higher end river properties with a view to work on.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cha-ching, just bid on and won a new one (#6) today from my CL ad. Nice $120 first cut, and $65 after that.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LOL.

Good for you, man. I wish I still got excited when I landed a $120 job or any maintenance account for that matter. It's been a lot of years since something like that excited me. But I remember those early years well. Being an entrepreneur has it's fun moments. And in the beginning landing any job was always exciting. I remember that.

Now-a-days, I only get a little excited maybe when I land a $20-$30k landscape construction job. And I usually get more excited if we're doing something fun or unique or something that's going to look really impressive when we're finished. Otherwise, the dollars really don't excite me too much anymore, unless it's something really big.

I still get excited every time I land an outdoor lighting job though. I love doing lighting. That's the most fun/artistic side of the industry, IMO. The one area that hasn't been totally saturated by hacks and where you can still make some really good profit.

Anyway, I'm honestly glad to hear it's working for you. Congrats. You can't beat free advertising.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
We stay more than plenty busy without having to weed through the crappy CL leads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
Jim,
Until we invested in our website it was just this way but we use it to funnel people to the site which either sells us or tells them were to expensive for what they are looking for.
Really has gotten us in on some larger properties, a direction I would like to head rather than the ticky-tacky neighborhood, not that we will give those up but would rather have higher end river properties with a view to work on.
I think the point Jim was trying to make was that his people are more than busy sifting through leads with the advertising they are using and "free advertising" isn't free when you have to sort through 100 bad leads to find a good one, especially when you have plenty of strong leads to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
Cha-ching, just bid on and won a new one (#6) today from my CL ad. Nice $120 first cut, and $65 after that.

When did quoting jobs become like e-bay?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post

When did quoting jobs become like e-bay?
It works for me, I'm just a little part time guy with 25-30 lawns. That's what this thread was started for.
The little people down here making a few extra dollars.
Oh, and as always.................