Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

The door is open for Constructive Criticism!

Hello fellow landscaping extraordinaires!

I guess I should do an introduction on another page, but this is my first post and I would like to share some of my work. So please, have at it!

Some before and after pictures of jobs I've done in July. The edgestone job the client wanted to do their own mulching with their son, hence all that exposed fabric.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The door is open for Constructive Criticism!

Looks very nice

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Vecchio, I appreciate your compliment. I know some things that I did wrong: Fabric looks bad, my gravel/bark border downhill on the 4th pic is shoddy, not many plants in the bark either. The client had old 2x4x16's that he used as a sort of retainer wall for a drainage area. He wanted them replaced, and I used half of a broken one and a full one as the border in that 3rd picture, but ran out of room in the budget to put new ones in all around the rock/bark border.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you get the concrete edging at, can you give me a website link to it? Thanks. You did good work. As long as the client is happy, it matters not if we lawnsiters approve or not.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-26-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Colaguy, I actually bought these from Home Depot because they were cheaper than from the source, but they were manufactured by Mutual Materials, who I believe operates just out of the Northwest. Sorry.

Honestly, I am just looking for any pointers on how I may improve on jobs like these.

My inability to bid has actually proven to be my biggest problem thus far, but I guess I could rant about that somewhere else.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostCreek View Post
Colaguy, I actually bought these from Home Depot because they were cheaper than from the source, but they were manufactured by Mutual Materials, who I believe operates just out of the Northwest. Sorry.

Honestly, I am just looking for any pointers on how I may improve on jobs like these.

My inability to bid has actually proven to be my biggest problem thus far, but I guess I could rant about that somewhere else.

You should quote an hourly rate+pickup/delivery & hauling off debris. Some here will tell you to quote a fixed price instead but sometimes its hard to figure out how many hours are involved in a fixed price. Charging hourly, you cannot lose. I used to quote a fixed price eons ago & I lost tons of $ because it took longer than I estimated.

Your pavers are similar to these at HD but yours are wider:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/12-in-Riv...7#.UfMFyI3VDYQ

Some in off white I put out last week:

Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what type of stone is that bud? The boarder stuff with the mulch... ?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah, looks great by the way....
Old 07-27-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Colaguy;4824951]You should quote an hourly rate+pickup/delivery & hauling off debris. Some here will tell you to quote a fixed price instead but sometimes its hard to figure out how many hours are involved in a fixed price. Charging hourly, you cannot lose. I used to quote a fixed price eons ago & I lost tons of $ because it took longer than I estimated.

Your pavers are similar to these at HD but yours are wider:

Thanks, I'm definitely going to start doing that. I think the problem was that I would give them a fixed price and I bid too tightly on the time, because hey, getting the job is better than getting waived.

Honestly I think I like my stones better, but you managed those curves quite well! The stone looks like it would be tough on the 90 degrees but looks clean!

Armsden & Son, I got them via Home Depot, who buys them wholesale from a local stone manufacturer here in the greater Portland, Oregon area, Mutual Materials.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I remember right, you can customer order that border from Wal-Mart (well at least in my area you can order)