Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I think I like my stones better, but you managed those curves quite well! The stone looks like it would be tough on the 90 degrees but looks clean!

They were a pain to put out because dirt had washed down on parking lot over the yrs & had to dig out dirt to find where asphalt ended at bed area. Had to chop out some asphalt (always fun work ). The pavers are bottom of pic, They're laid on top of concrete that was already there extending into bed but it was flat and smooth & edging laid good over it.

I hate using the off white pavers. I hate the color & normally recommend using the reddish/pink edging, as it retains its color longer. I went off white because the sidewalk & outer edging concrete matched similar in color & the Alabama Red Rock might of color clashed if I used the red pavers. These pavers are perfect for curved wavy bed design. They're cheap and last forever and look good.

I did this at my house. Cinder block edging Got em free & planted the Purple Queen inside them which will spread and hang over the block.

Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I see, you planted it in the cinder blocks, clever.

I don't care for the off-white either. And honestly I don't like the pink edgestone. One round bed I did I alternated them, but I think maybe alternating every 2, like red red white white red red might look better. There's also a dark gray pebbled one that is significantly more expensive but has far more character. Like you say though, it all depends on the environment that they're placed.

That Purple Queen looks nice, but I'm betting it will struggle in my hardiness zone.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

This is the final product, with Mulch added. I believe both beds need more plants, but I'm not quite sure what.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not bad, I will be the first to say Fabric under mulch is a big no-no. Under rock is ok, mulch is not.

Other then that they need some more plants but overall not bad. Straight lines good curves.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks!

I usually like reasons for doing or not doing things

Could you tell me why no fabric under da mulch? They didn't wanna spray, and that soil was rife with weed seed. What other options do I have to prevent it from going to crap again?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

And I agree about the plants, but I think I will let them marinade on the fresh new look before it gets filled in. I was going to put a piece of black plastic edging in the front of the bed next to the driveway, level with soil and grass seed, its a bit unstable.

Honestly, I'm totally open to suggestions on improvements. I just would like to know the reasoning behind the suggestions so I can learn from it. I won't follow blindly until I get legit reasons.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but I couldn't resist.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mulch turns into soil, after you lay down your weed preventer that mulch will turn to soil and youll be left with soil under fabric under soil.

They dont want to spray? then they will end up with weeds taking over there landscape. There is NO such thing as a zero maintenance landscape. Ive never had a customer double take me after I explain why fabric or plastic should NEVER be used under mulch.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Wildstar that design looks nice: what program do you use?

anders: Thank you for the advice. The mulch they use will essentially become soil, yes. I think your point is that the fabric will just be a hassle in the future. . . Other than that, I must be pretty dense, because I'm not seeing the benefit (besides time) of NOT putting fabric down. I'll search for answers elsewhere on lawnsite.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's some pretty nice work you're doing there!

for pricing, I figure out an hourly cost in my head, then figure the hours it'll take, add materials and misc, then add a bit extra for a few more hours. For example, if job X is 5 hrs, hourly cost is $60, materials is $100, I would tell the client $460 or $500. that way you can negotiate a little if you had to, and still make out ok. It all depends on how bad you need the work too- sometimes price real high and you might still get it lol!
My rule of thumb- NEVER tell a customer you're hourly price. Then they hover over you, making sure you get it done in as little time as possible! Not fun!