Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can have the same problem with people who water 2-3 times a day everyday. I don't get that excessiveness at all....

Ford F150 XL Truck
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
ExMark Phazer 34" laser 2006 mower
Big Dog C142 2011 mower
Wright Grass Gobbler
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Under powered engines and letting it clump under the deck-bad,bad,bad
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
I cut wet grass all the time and it's still alive and growing, unfortunately. The biggest culprit of damaged lawn areas are pesticide applicators who don't know what they're doing.
That is an interesting take because as an applicator who does know what he is doing, I find the biggest culprit for lawn stress and damage is directly related to homeowners and new or mow n go operator's cutting practices. In the end, to get the best possible results one needs to have the entire spectrum of maintenance operations work together. When you get more than one hand in jar it becomes a recipe for problems. Fert company sprays 10 minutes after the cutter leaves. Homeowner or new guys ripping it down to 2" week after week. Mow n go running over south facing lawns at 1pm on a 95+ degree day.

Cutting wet grass is sort of part of the business, but the overall best thing for any lawn is minimize it when possible by working around irrigation schedules, natural dew and shade affected areas, etc. Not much you can do otherwise when it rains a week straight, other than take the extra steps to keep things clean and sharp, stand up laying turf, etc.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that real world results are what counts, in that,, all the relevant factors to 'your' business are included, whereas a Uni. study would not be able to address every situation...
With that in mind it would be wise for 'pros' to analyze the structure of their soils on a regular basis,,, esp. the clayey and heavier ones with relation to how water/irrigation is affecting the roots...

I noticed in this thread, that very little attn. was paid to the soil...
Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
That is an interesting take because as an applicator who does know what he is doing, I find the biggest culprit for lawn stress and damage is directly related to homeowners and new or mow n go operator's cutting practices.
There's a fert company here that starts their season in March and by the end of April they will have 2nd app down, by the time the ground warms enough for the nitro to work, a third app is down and the lawn is growing 8-9 " per week(I've measured it). When I take a new lawn on and I find out this company's doing the fert, automatic surcharge or I just won't take it on. A fert company that I do recommend works with me and together we come out with great looking lawns. In my experience the fert company usually has biggest impact.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
There's a fert company here that starts their season in March and by the end of April they will have 2nd app down, by the time the ground warms enough for the nitro to work, a third app is down and the lawn is growing 8-9 " per week(I've measured it). When I take a new lawn on and I find out this company's doing the fert, automatic surcharge or I just won't take it on. A fert company that I do recommend works with me and together we come out with great looking lawns. In my experience the fert company usually has biggest impact.
I could venture a guess and say that those fast growing lawns burn out fast in the summer heat. Just my experience with heavy nitrogen apps.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-28-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
I could venture a guess and say that those fast growing lawns burn out fast in the summer heat. Just my experience with heavy nitrogen apps.
Big time burn-out. What's really awesome is that this time year they love to show up and boil the lawn with the overheated stuff in the hoses.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
I'm assuming this is cool season turf?

Wonder how much they put down in the Fall when MOST of the entire growing seasons Nitrogen should go down...? As in 65-75%...?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The cutting deck makes a huge difference too. Most fabbed decks suck when it comes to wet grass. When the ground gets soggy for weeks on end, out come the old Toro proline WBs, and park the Z's. Production suffers, but so does rutting up a yard, or having to recover a stuck mower.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The cutting deck makes a huge difference too. Most fabbed decks suck when it comes to wet grass. When the ground gets soggy for weeks on end, out come the old Toro proline WBs, and park the Z's. Production suffers, but so does rutting up a yard, or having to recover a stuck mower.