Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2015, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

///// Advice needed for buying trailer to haul equiment ///////

HI All,

I recently got into doing trenching type work and have a need to buy a bigger / heavier duty trailer.

Most of the machines I will be needing to move will weigh around 8000 to 12000 (in actuality typically more like 8 to 10K unless I buy the larger trencher which will weigh closer to 12K.

FWIW I also own a case 680 E backhoe that weights about 17500.

My dilemma is this....

Should I buy a trailer to meet most of my "normal" needs (i.e. moving about 10K weight so a 7 ton rated trailer would suffice or should I just bite the bullet and get a 12T trailer that would be capable of hauling my backhoe as well). Note: I have a 1997 Dodge dually as well as a F800 ...both 5.9 cummins and geared low so either can move the load in theory.

On the one hand having 1 trailer that can do everything would be nice BUT a majority of the time I would just be hauling extra weight or do you feel the capability would offset any extra weight toted (I did notice that for a 12 T rated trailer the Econolines with the multimax suspensions are relatively "light" at 5K or so lbs empty (light compared to many tandem duals of the same size and load bearing which often weigh in at 6000 to 6500 lbs empty...ON the flip side that is still about 2K more weight to tote around given the fact that a 7T rated trailer in
the econoline lineup weighs in at about 3300 lbs empty. NOTE : I am not stuck on econlines just that I had the numbers for them from their website.

So what would you do?....separate trailers or just the one and go for it and disregard the extra weight? (I don't have an unlimited budget so it would seem to save $$ getting just one trailer although I may be penalized in tyerms of added tires to pay for and more fuel to move the heavier trailer.

Lastly....

I will probably steer clear of triple axle trailers (due to tire wear issues) and have pretty much narrowed my heavy hauler options to either tandem duals or a multimax type supension....Anybody with real world recommendations on which way to go here?

Personally using 16 inch tires on bud type wheels appeals to me more so than 5 spoke type wheels with odd small tires but then again I am trying to keep an open mind on everything.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 02-15-2015, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Andrew, your over thinking this decision. Buy the trailer you need now and will need for the emeadiate future. As long as your decision meets your existing budget and needs requirement. The amount of work secured from this investment will take care of the rest.
All the best.
easy-lift guy
Old 02-16-2015, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd go with the smaller, lighter trailer to drag around every day. While I do not own anything that large, there was always such a noticeable difference in towing a 5 lug utility trailer (#1,600 empty) and an 8 lug utility trailer (#2,800 empty) with my 3/4 ton diesel that I'd want to have a safe but lighter trailer whenever possible.

If you get a smaller trailer, can you make arrangements with a friend/businessperson to "rent" their trailer when you need to move your backhoe? I used to have a large local landscaper for whom we did some sub work that would let me trade out using his F450 and dual tandem goose neck in exchange for work. Insurance probably would not have liked that if there had been a problem, though.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully, these vids will steer you in the right direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OgYntqx_ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOmS5KqPbg