Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
speaking of the devil just got off my phone and fuso is shipping me a new transmission... must say they do stand behind there stuff just hope it isn't a repeating issue (15k miles now)
Damn, that sucks Brandon! Like you said, at least they stand behind their product. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come with the new Fuso's. I had always heard what great trucks they are.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
Thanks KPS, that's what I want to hear. I realize it's no race truck and I'm not looking for that. My dealer did say that though it is 15 hp more than my Ford LCF that I would notice a big difference in it's performance. I've been spoiled with my LCF having a 6 cylinder engine and he said that the Hino wouldn't have the same "get and go." That's ok, I'm more worried about keeping the "go" reliably for a long time. I won't be fighting fires with it.... So you like the suspension seat? Is it really worth the extra$$$? I was comfortable in the stock seat. One thing that I noticed on my test drive was that the front end seemed to want to float around a bit. My LCF runs nice, tight, and straight with no rattles or squeeks even after 6 years of use. Another thing that I noticed was that I couldn't seem to get the mirrors out far enough to get a good view past the van box that was on it. The dealer seemed to think that they weren't installed properly. How do you feel about the mirrors? One more thing, do you have any insight to share on how the Hino stacks up against the Fuso or the Isuzu? I'd love to see some pics... I'll PM you my email. That should make it easier to send pics. I can never get pics to upload to this site either. Thanks again for your insight.
The suspension seat came standard with ours, I wasn't aware it was an option. The front end does tend to wander a little bit, it's the only COE I've driven so I can't compare it to anything else. I had a second gen dodge and it kind of reminds me of that, you can't really let go of the wheel too long hahaha. The mirrors work excellent for me, no blind spots really. The one problem I do have with them is that I have to look around them when I come to an intersection, I can lose a whole car behind them if I don't lean foreword to look both ways. As for the FUSO it has a 165 hp fiat motor I believe which I have heard is a dog and has a poor longevity cause its pushing to the max all the time. I've never felt that the Hino was underpowered, I knew what it was when we bought it and I'm more than happy with it. The Aisin tranny works very well I find, although I'd does gear hunt sometimes when you're hauling really heavy.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I just opened a photobucket account. I'll get a couple good pics tmrw and I'll put them up
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If your towing a lot they'll get light in the front. They're really designed to be more of a dump/flat/box.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If your towing a lot they'll get light in the front. They're really designed to be more of a dump/flat/box.
BrandonV- I felt like it was light in the front end even with just an empty cargo van body. I just think its the way/type of steering set up it has.

KPS- I did notice the blind spot you had mentioned. Funny thing is that in their sales literature they state that the mirror position was designed for better visibility. My Ford LCF have them attached to the front of the cab not the middle of the door and it allows for great visibility and doesn't vibrate like most of the other trucks. Man I sure do wish they still made the LCF...what a nice truck it is.

Also BrandonV- Funny that you mention you like your older Fuso better. My buddy said the same thing. He actually tracked down the last 2011 so that he didn't have all of the emission junk on it and he still prefers his 2008 better. And for the trans, I did hear that they had recalled all of them for a replacement trans. Kind of stinks because I like the looks & ride of the new Canter the best.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
Also BrandonV- Funny that you mention you like your older Fuso better. My buddy said the same thing. He actually tracked down the last 2011 so that he didn't have all of the emission junk on it and he still prefers his 2008 better. And for the trans, I did hear that they had recalled all of them for a replacement trans. Kind of stinks because I like the looks & ride of the new Canter the best.
We're still running w/ the current transmission but when I took it up there for the reverse issue and the next thing I know they're ordering a tranny for it I'll be honest it scared the crap out of me. We bought this newest canter as a replacement for a 08 LCF that was the biggest bomb/ single biggest waste of company $ in our 76 year history. We had it for 4 years and it spent 4 months total in the shop. We lucky leased it but still took a huge hit when we returned it. And that lead me to our new fuso that was outfitted buy super lawn trucks. Love everything about it so far but this transmission issue has me stressed out... don't want a new trans every 15k mile. The one thing I'll say about fuso is they'll do something about it... ford refused to acknowledge there were problems with the lcf we had. we've bought 3 trucks since then and none have been fords, whereas we we a strictly ford fleet before hand.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
We're still running w/ the current transmission but when I took it up there for the reverse issue and the next thing I know they're ordering a tranny for it I'll be honest it scared the crap out of me. We bought this newest canter as a replacement for a 08 LCF that was the biggest bomb/ single biggest waste of company $ in our 76 year history. We had it for 4 years and it spent 4 months total in the shop. We lucky leased it but still took a huge hit when we returned it. And that lead me to our new fuso that was outfitted buy super lawn trucks. Love everything about it so far but this transmission issue has me stressed out... don't want a new trans every 15k mile. The one thing I'll say about fuso is they'll do something about it... ford refused to acknowledge there were problems with the lcf we had. we've bought 3 trucks since then and none have been fords, whereas we we a strictly ford fleet before hand.
I feel you on the LCF issues Brandon. We did have one major issue that cost us $8K to fix. The fuel tanks de-lamminated and fowled up the injectors. Yes Ford should of covered this but they wouldn't so thousands of owners got screwed. Ford blamed the issue on the new fuel regulations that were put into place after the fuel tanks were designed for the truck. Bunch of BS! Once the truck was fixed it has been great ever since. Had some minor issues with idler pulleys and belts but all and all we love the truck. Problem is that Ford only made the LCF for 3 years (if that) in a poor economy while they were feuding with International/Navistar. That truck never had a fighting chance nor the R&D time to get the bugs out before they abandoned ship. Sucks because if they did the truck could of been great. But after all of that I'm still a ford fan. I have too many good experiences with them (starting with my 1934 1.5 ton flatbed truck) to let one bad experience sour me. But I'm also a big fan of the COE's so I guess I'm stuck buying from a foreign manufacturer. From what I have been hearing Fuso really stands behind their product so I don't foresee you having too many issues with your Canter. Hino is known for good warranties as well so I'm not worried about buying from either. Just really need to figure out which on to chose...
Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i was flipping around super lawn trucks' website today and came across this new design. I'm kind of liking it for maybe a smaller crew we have 2 types of crew for maintenance mowing and hort... this would be great for the hort crew I think.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Youll have to forgive my computer illiteracy. I have a photobucket account and have truck pics there but don't know how to get the pics into my reply on the threads
Any help?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You have to copy the IMG code they give you and paste it here. Then you post and the pic pops up