'02 Intl 4300
DT466
6spd Fuller manual
Air brakes
254" wheelbase (24' box truck)
128k miles
26k GVW
100 gallons (2 50gal)

So I get them down to $24,100. I go today to pick it up only to find out they had not touched the truck. The box was still on it and had not been cleaned up yet (didn't look bad either). I go on about a 15 mile test drive with my Dad and little brother through the mountains around Lynchburg, VA. Truck pulls strong! Sounded a little rough when I first cranked it but I think its just from sitting and not running on top of being cold start.

I returned with this list:
-Air brakes need to be firmer
-Pulls right when braking
-Air brakes have leak.....prob just valve
-Parked 15min........3 drops of oil, nickle size
-Air leak around one window
-Align steering wheel
-Fix seat belts

Monday they're doing that ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ and removing the box. Now I want them to fill it up with diesel before I pick it up since I am having to make another trip there.

Switch-N-Go system is gonna run me about $15,000 (including 2 bodies) + 48" box behind cab + hitch + stainless parts etc.

I should have it all finished.........painted, decals, system everything by Christmas. I will document best I can with pictures.........keep an eye out.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much weight will you be able to haul when the Switch n Go system is installed?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats a long wheelbase are you having the chassis shortened ?

I would think for what you want to do a wheelbase of 201 would be plenty.

As for the brakes air brakes don't get firmer it sounds like the brakes need adjusting or repair. You jam on the brakes the wheels should have locked up and skidded. You said its pulling to the right under braking means the brakes are out of adjustment on the front.

I don't know what kind of rules you have in your state for air brakes but for us you have to be certified to operate a air brake equiped truck. That means you need to know how to set up the brakes (adjust them) you also have to know how the whole air brake system works. If you can't adjust the brakes yourself technically you shouldn't be driving the truck its the drivers reasponsibility for properly adjusted brakes. For us if the DOT catches us with out of adjusted brakes its 100 dollars a wheel so if all 4 wheels are out its 400 bucks. DOT doesn't care if you have automatic slack adjusters you have to keep them adjusted.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

dont hold your breathe on the alignment int have the worst alignments out there they just eat tires like theres no tomorrow

wheres the air in the air brakes leaking from that may be the cause of your pedal not being firm. does it have a jake
Old 11-25-2006, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There's no jake in the system DBL........I think its just a valve needing adjusted or replacing.

Firmer brakes means they need adjusting Gravel Rat...........I have a Class A CDL and you are not required to have one just because your truck has air brakes. CDL is for 26k GVW+

254" = wheel base
200" = cab to center of axle

A) Behind the cab will be a 48" tool box.
B) Behind the tool boox will be a 14' body (168")

A + B = 216"

Truck empty, after construction, will weigh in around 14,000 lbs leaving me 12,000 lbs of hauling.

The Switch-N-Go will be the 15,000 lb system.

As for the work......ALL work will be done outside of the northern VA area and most of it back home. I would much rather put the $ into the economy back home.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes but if you have a air braked truck you must beable to adjust and check the brakes and know how the air system works. If you don't technically you shouldn't be operating a truck with air brakes. The truck you are looking at probably has automatic slack adjusters that have never been adjusted properly.

Truck crashes in my province happen from people that can't adjust the brakes on a air brake equiped truck. If you don't know how your going to end up dead and killing others around you.

We don't need CDLs here for 2 axle trucks they can have any gvw but if the truck has air brakes you need the air endorsement on your license to operate a truck on air.

You should have checked the brakes before you even left the dealers lot with the truck. If you did that here and the DOT caught you with out of adjusted brakes say both back wheels were out that 200 dollars would come out of your pocket. Around here the DOT doesn't fool around with people that can't have improper brakes usually the truck is condemned on the side of the road and towed away.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

GRat is correct about at least a "B" endorsement here in the states for any truck regardless of GVW if it is air brake equiped. On top of that, it would be good training for you anyway, since you would have observed 90% of these issues in your "walk-through inspection" before you even left the parking lot. Having a CDL would be a good thing and in the process of getting the license would help you learn about the vehicle you just purchased. Did you do an air brake test before you left the parking lot? There is a simple process that everyone should know and do before they get moving down the road to find out they don't have brakes. That being said, awesome move in getting the rig and moving forward on your business.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Okay get off my back........this post is getting off topic.

I have a CLASS A license for almost 3yrs now and know the system. The truck was sitting ready for me to drive and had just gotten its state inspection from a dealer that has been in opteration probably more years then I've been alive. The brakes are fine for just scoot'n around but they needed more balls behind them when I test drove the truck and hit them hard at 65mph. Yes, probably the slack adjusters.

So:

#1.....I know the system and can safely operate the Class B truck
#2.....Final checks are being done on the truck to get it ready and to my standard. I have not put $1 on this truck yet. I will test drive it again for another 20+mile distance to make sure that everything is how I want it.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

no cdl anythign for airbrakes i drive an 05 int 4300 tow truck auto airbrakes jake brake every night and i dont have one all i need is a medical card
Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know how you guys can get away with having no regulations on operating a truck with air brakes. Man you guys have some goofy rules in the states

If you can't adjust the brakes on the truck you shouldn't be driving the truck simple as that. Air braked trucks with brakes that are not adjusted are dangerous as h*ll. Many drivers have gotten killed in this province from trucks going down hills and lost all braking control ends up in a crash if they are lucky not killed. About 5 maybe 10 years ago a loaded single axle dump truck decending a steep hill blew a shift lost control because the driver had no training with air brakes aka didn't know how to adjust the brakes.

The truck went rocketing down the hill no control at the bottom of the hill was the harbour the truck launched off the seawall and the guy drowned.

When they found the truck the DOT seen the brakes were cammed over.

I never fool around when I drive truck those brakes MUST be perfect or the truck isn't leaving the yard. Trust me when you have a 58,000lb truck decending a 10% grade you want all the braking power you can get.

I only have a class 3 license which means I can only operate a tandem axle dump which is all what I drive anyhow. For me to upgrade to a class 1 (A) will take 2 weeks of training and another 1500 dollars for a person to get a class (A) from a regular driver license ranges from 3000 to 7000 dollars.

It is no laughing matter that you guys don't know how to adjust your own brakes.

Stepping off my soap box