Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel like its falling apart

So the season started off with a bang. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with high end homes and plenty of landscape work. Well now it seems like everything has fallen apart. It rains at least three days a week which makes our main service, maintenance, almost impossible to complete. I have three trucks, 2 cab overs and a f-250. The only truck running is the f250 the others are broke down. I lost my main worker right after Memorial Day, so I've been trying to pick up the slack and working sometimes 7 days a week till dark trying to keep up. At this point I don't even care to find another helper, I may just get rid of some if the every two week accounts so we can keep up. I'm starting to get people complaining and wondering where we are or why we haven't done certain things. All the mowers need maintenance, and our navigator seems like the starter is about to go out. Also throw in the fact that we just sold our home and are in the process of closing on that and looking to build in a new neighborhood. Seems like everything breaks about this time every year and really knocks down what I've worked so hard to build up. Anyone feel the same way?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No matter the profession everyone goes through some storms. Those that are ever to be successful keep their noses to the grind and keep rowing the boat. Smoother waters are ahead if you can endure. I've learned over the years that value of what you do is made when times are the toughest. If it was easy everybody would do it. Hang in there bro!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll make it through!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys! I'm human, and sometimes you just have to vent. I've been at this awhile and have built a pretty good business over the years. I take alot of pride in my business and would hate for something stupid like this to mess it up. It just seems like everything goes wrong at once. I think some of it is the fact that our equipment and trucks are running none stop all day everyday so around this time of year, stuff starts to break down. I'm thankful I have the f250, because without that I wouldn't know what to do. I feel like everything happens for a reason, so maybe it's time to make some changes. I kinda restructured the business this year, and I feel like the handful of every two week accounts are weighing me down. I may let them go so what little time I have can be better spent on the high end weekly accounts. But first things first, I have to get one of the cab overs going again, because I only have a small trailer for backup(who would think both cab overs would break at once) and its really getting on my nerves when I can only haul one big mower and a push on the trailer. For the past two weeks I have been changing out mowers throughout the day because some properties need the laser z and others require the navigator. All the driving back and forth to swap out mowers is killing my route, time and gas. I could cut them all with the laser z but I don't think the high end accounts would like that considering they have been mowed with the navigator for a while. Plus since the nav is 42" and the laser z is 48" I have been push mowing some of the rear lawns due to the laser z being to big to fit thru the gate. So that is killing my time as well. My cab overs are setup so nice with everything from tools, grease guns, ect. The other day when I first started driving the f250 when the other trucks broke, I realized I didn't even have the tools to replace an edger blade on that truck. I had to go to autozone and but some tools just to swap it out. Ridiculous!!!.

Last edited by exmarkking; 07-31-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the last 5 years of my life. lol

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can afford it get rid of the bi weekly accounts. Got any slow payers or pain in the butt clients? Perfect time to dump them. If you're going 100 mph now slowing things down a little will make a big difference.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Replace your helper. He wasn't magical. I know it sux to train a new guy but it is not impossible to find another helper. This biz is hard to do alone. Good luck
Old 08-01-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

exmarking, i feel ya on the rain. im close to you and have spent many days punching the roof of my truck and screaming vulgar words over and over while im driving my permagreen across peoples yard. Many fast food restaurants have paid for my frustrations this year with the rain. Not to mention weeds. they are going nuts right now. i try not to think about it but its making me tired i think so hard about it. mind over matter. we will get through it. Cuss out a mcdonalds worker. it makes ya feel lil better
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I missed 3 days last week and yesterday. I had to literally do 2 days work in one today. I also had to bag the grass because these homes didn't get cut last week. Im so tired I cant see straight.

The bright side even with missing 4 days last month I still did 30% more than last July.

Im a little worried about getting a few complaints because most homes are getting mowed and that's about it. Good thing is none of them look real bad yet.

Exmarking hang in there some years are harder than others, 2 years ago I went through a divorce and that was a lot toughter than anything lawncare can throw at ya.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It helps to know others are going thru it too. Thanks Larry!! Divorces are probably the hardest thing to go thru. I haven't been thru one thankfully, but have seen friends do it and its hard.