Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
That is weird, what size did you get? I got .105 because it looked to be about the same size as the .95 magnum. I was very unimpressed compared to the magnum line. I'm being honest here also, I'm in no way biased with different lines.
Like Valk mentioned in a post above - I got the .105" for the same exact reason as you did several months ago now. I am not biased either. I love all the Gator Magnum lines, but square is a hit or miss line when it comes to feeding form certain heads like the Stihl 25-2. I use Crossfire for my daily trimmer which is my Husky 223L. It will bog slightly in heavier growth with the Platinum ST, but is runs like it's way bigger than it is with Crossfire.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Like Valk mentioned in a post above - I got the .105" for the same exact reason as you did several months ago now. I am not biased either. I love all the Gator Magnum lines, but square is a hit or miss line when it comes to feeding form certain heads like the Stihl 25-2. I use Crossfire for my daily trimmer which is my Husky 223L. It will bog slightly in heavier growth with the Platinum ST, but is runs like it's way bigger than it is with Crossfire.
Well I'm glad you like the stuff ridin, I wish I did lol
Old 08-01-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Well I'm glad you like the stuff ridin, I wish I did lol
Just to be clear, are you talking about the grey twist or the blue? I've seen several people on here so far that thought the Gator Magnum Super Twist (the grey stuff) is what we are talking about when we mention Platinum Super Twist, which is blue. If you are using the blue stuff, you may want to try the grey ST. It has the Aramid chord in the center like round and square dies.

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/M...AD_low-res.pdf
Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, are you talking about the grey twist or the blue? I've seen several people on here so far that thought the Gator Magnum Super Twist (the grey stuff) is what we are talking about when we mention Platinum Super Twist, which is blue. If you are using the blue stuff, you may want to try the grey ST. It has the Aramid chord in the center like round and square dies.

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/M...AD_low-res.pdf
I'm using the blue platinum super twist. I will have to order some twist magnum and see what it's like after I use up this platinum.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really wanted to try the Platinum ST, but had a very hard time finding it anywhere until one day when we were out on a sat drive about 50 miles from home. I found a small mower shop out in the country that had it. My local dealer carries the Magnum ST all the time, but I've yet to try it. It will be the next spool I pick up though, and it may just be this afternoon if all goes well. I can get the grey ST in .095" there instead of getting the.105" like I did in blue (that's the only size that place had the Platinum in, and as already stated, it is the same exact size as .095 lines of any other type for some reason).

That hard outer sheath on the Platinum stuff seems to last longer for me than the grey stuff, but I do like having the Aramid chord down the center like the grey ST has. I guess I'll find out soon enough which one I like better. LOL
Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I really wanted to try the Platinum ST, but had a very hard time finding it anywhere until one day when we were out on a sat drive about 50 miles from home. I found a small mower shop out in the country that had it. My local dealer carries the Magnum ST all the time, but I've yet to try it. It will be the next spool I pick up though, and it may just be this afternoon if all goes well. I can get the grey ST in .095" there instead of getting the.105" like I did in blue (that's the only size that place had the Platinum in, and as already stated, it is the same exact size as .095 lines of any other type for some reason).

That hard outer sheath on the Platinum stuff seems to last longer for me than the grey stuff, but I do like having the Aramid chord down the center like the grey ST has. I guess I'll find out soon enough which one I like better. LOL
See I just can't imagine how your line could be any different from mine. It's night and day! I have manicured yards today and tomorrow that I will give it a try on and see how it does. This stuff just isn't as durable for me
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know guys make fun of soaking it, but it works. Maybe yours was stored in a hot dry area for a while before you bought it or something. Try soaking it for 24 hours.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I know guys make fun of soaking it, but it works. Maybe yours was stored in a hot dry area for a while before you bought it or something. Try soaking it for 24 hours.
haven't tried any of this stuff yet but this thread has me interested.

I will say I agree with the point on soaking the line. we soak ours mainly in the summer months as any heat and dry weather can make the stuff brittle, soaking really helps and saves the money of needing to buy more line if its dried out.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm confused now after reading all the above.

I purchased Oregon's Platinum Gatorline Supertwist (236') - and it is blue and .105 = which is definitely more akin to .095 size-wise. This is some TOUGH line. It easily lasts twice as long as the other lines I've used.

I've not ever tried Oregon's Magnum Gatorline - which is grey as per their website.

I can 'imagine' that a square Platinum line would be more durable than a twisted line...but I've felt way too much debris/projectiles when using a square line in the past.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
I'm confused now after reading all the above.

I purchased Oregon's Platinum Gatorline Supertwist (236') - and it is blue and .105 = which is definitely more akin to .095 size-wise. This is some TOUGH line. It easily lasts twice as long as the other lines I've used.

I've not ever tried Oregon's Magnum Gatorline - which is grey as per their website.

I can 'imagine' that a square Platinum line would be more durable than a twisted line...but I've felt way too much debris/projectiles when using a square line in the past.
I see you're in Kansas Valk so chances are we are cutting a lot of the same stuff. Try the magnum gator line next time and you will never buy anything else. I have never soaked my magnum line and I never will. It stays on the trailer day in and day out so it is always in the sun. Never had a problem, it stays tough as nails.

This supertwist platinum is a joke. I used more yesterday and I still find myself going back to grab more magnum line. Sad thing is, there isn't much left on the spool. Then I'm stuck with the platinum.