Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I see you're in Kansas Valk so chances are we are cutting a lot of the same stuff. Try the magnum gator line next time and you will never buy anything else. I have never soaked my magnum line and I never will. It stays on the trailer day in and day out so it is always in the sun. Never had a problem, it stays tough as nails.

This supertwist platinum is a joke. I used more yesterday and I still find myself going back to grab more magnum line. Sad thing is, there isn't much left on the spool. Then I'm stuck with the platinum.
I think you must have simply gotten a bad spool of it for some reason. It is tougher than the Magnum Gator line by quite a bit as far as durability goes. I use my trimmers for a lot of stuff besides grass, like thick fibrous stemmed weed stalks up to about 3/4" and I have several places that small saplings keep sprouting up. I use my trimmer line on them too, as long as they aren't over approximately 1/2". Most other lines will snap off fairly quickly. Gator Magnum works awesome, and the Platinum ST is even better at this type of work. I have a lot of chain link fence to do as well, and I didn't expect it to do as good as Gator Magnum, but it actually lasts longer IME.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I may have. And I may try soaking the platinum. It may be more durable after being soaked, but it's not before hand. Not in my opinion anyway. I'm happy you have had good luck with it, I haven't at all.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you having a hard time finding Gator Magnum out there? I recall someone in one of these threads saying that, but don't remember if it was you or not..
Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I see the Magnum comes in round and square only. I do have a particular affinity for twisted lines...but, my primary issue for even trying the Platinum Supertwist was a welding issue (with my old preferred Grassgator twisted line from Ace Hardware). As per Oregon's website, the coating on the Platinum is supposed to withstand 498 degrees Fahrenheit, fwiw.

I brushcut once/year and put the Platinum on specifically for this task back in early June. It went well, though b/tw my new 35cc Honda and this new line...let's just say I was very impressed.

Where I see the greatest benefit is in edging. As previously stated, I go with the lowest RPMs I can to limit debris/projectile speed. This Honda trimmer is easily feathered & has low-end torque out the wazoo...and Platinum makes the job that much easier/smoother. The inner-core is TOUGH.

I don't doubt the Magnum line is tough as well. Honestly, I've not even used 50' of Platinum in 2 months...if that ain't tough, then...
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
I see the Magnum comes in round and square only. I do have a particular affinity for twisted lines...but, my primary issue for even trying the Platinum Supertwist was a welding issue (with my old preferred Grassgator twisted line from Ace Hardware). As per Oregon's website, the coating on the Platinum is supposed to withstand 498 degrees Fahrenheit, fwiw.

I brushcut once/year and put the Platinum on specifically for this task back in early June. It went well, though b/tw my new 35cc Honda and this new line...let's just say I was very impressed.

Where I see the greatest benefit is in edging. As previously stated, I go with the lowest RPMs I can to limit debris/projectile speed. This Honda trimmer is easily feathered & has low-end torque out the wazoo...and Platinum makes the job that much easier/smoother. The inner-core is TOUGH.

I don't doubt the Magnum line is tough as well. Honestly, I've not even used 50' of Platinum in 2 months...if that ain't tough, then...
Valk-
The Gator Magnum comes in super twist as well as round and square, and it has the same Aramid chord down the center. See my link above.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Are you having a hard time finding Gator Magnum out there? I recall someone in one of these threads saying that, but don't remember if it was you or not..
No, a local dealer carries nothing but magnum line. I just went to a closer one this last time that carries the new platinum and thought I would give it a try.

My experience with using it for edging is it seems to throw more debris. We are in a very sandy area near the Arkansas river so our edges are fairly sandy. It's really bad after the winter when they have put sand down on the roads.

I must have a completely different style of trimming than you guys. For example, I walk to the left and trim against the rotation of the head and I don't feather very much. Only around delicate spots that don't require power. I use fs90rs and in order to keep them from getting fouled up you have you run them wide open. With the platinum line I find myself feathering more in the low end range just to keep the line from tearing on objects. This wasn't an issue with the magnum line. I can think of one instance from today, around here many houses have lightning rods that use a copper rod that's buried at the base of the foundation. I was walking along with the trimmer around full throttle, maybe a little under and I got too close to the rod. It tore the line clean off leaving only about an inch sticking out of the eyelets. I have done the same thing on other occasions with magnum line and the line simply grabs the rod and wraps up around it most jerking the trimmer out of your hands. This is the lack of durability I'm talking about and I'm just trying to give you guys a real world example of what I'm dealing with.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, I believe ya bro, no problems there, and I don't meant to sound like I'm trying to convince you to see it my way either. I'm just relating what I am experiencing with it as I go. If things change, you can bet I'll report that too. I owe them nothing at Oregon, or any other company.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Whoa! No feather ruffling intended:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Valk-
The Gator Magnum comes in super twist as well as round and square, and it has the same Aramid chord down the center. See my link above.
Here's a link to your link, RG:

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/M...AD_low-res.pdf

I don't see a .105 twist in the Magnum. Nor is the Magnum bragging up that the outer sheath is (as) heat resistant as the Platinum (498 degrees). So are both essentially the same toughness-wise if they have the same Aramid core?

I do not doubt any of y'all...I know that what you type is what you experience. So/but, if the Magnum is even tougher than the Platinum, I'm just wondering why...? What size line are you running CAKS? You said it is square IIRC? I would intuitively think that square line would be tougher (less brittle?) than a twisted line given comparable sizing...

When edging, I do my best work while walking backward ON the hard-surface/sidewalk/driveway from R>L which insures that 'most' of the debris flies away from me.

I need a line that won't weld...though, not sure I need it any tougher than the Platinum for my resi accounts. I anticipate that I'll run out of Platinum by the middle or end of 2014 at the rate I'm using it.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-03-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't see in your other post where you said you were talking about .105" only, so I was pointing out that you can get GM in ST, since .95" is what most guys use. As far as welding goes, that seems to mean different things to different guys on here I've noticed. Regardless of what that means exactly to anyone, you won't have any problems with GM welding or anything else, with the exception that a lot of trimmer heads don't feed the square lines worth spit. I like the fact that the platinum seems to stay straighter sticking out each side of the trimmer head, especially at low speeds where I like to run a lot of the time, and it gives me the ability to trim neatly and exactly where i want a lot easier than other lines that curl up at lower speeds.

You cannot go wrong with either of these two types of line though, at least not IMO.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed & good to know, thank you sir.

Welding to me is when the line will adhere (/weld) to itself w/in the spool due to heat/melting...thus preventing it from advancing.

With this torque-y Honda, it was round line only (which does not compliment my trimming style very well) until I took your advice with Platinum. And by golly, it's the best darn line I have used or can even imagine. So IFF this Magnum is even tougher...whoah!

I'm sure we both realize we're running in circles a bit on this topic...but the way I see it, it helps to reinforce to anyone that muddles through this mess that we are talking about the Holy Grail of trimmer lines. There, I said it!
~ Josh Billings