Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Agreed & good to know, thank you sir.

Welding to me is when the line will adhere (/weld) to itself w/in the spool due to heat/melting...thus preventing it from advancing.

With this torque-y Honda, it was round line only (which does not compliment my trimming style very well) until I took your advice with Platinum. And by golly, it's the best darn line I have used or can even imagine. So IFF this Magnum is even tougher...whoah!

I'm sure we both realize we're running in circles a bit on this topic...but the way I see it, it helps to reinforce to anyone that muddles through this mess that we are talking about the Holy Grail of trimmer lines. There, I said it!
I couldn't agree more. I will not say GM is tougher, or better, but IMO, it is every bit as good for all around use. Both may have areas in which they excel, or heads from which they feed better, I can't say for sure since I have yet to own every brand of trimmer. Working on it though......
Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok Valk brought up a good point. My platinum line has no aramid core, it's just white inside. Is there a line that does have a core? This could explain why I'm having terrible luck with it.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Ok Valk brought up a good point. My platinum line has no aramid core, it's just white inside. Is there a line that does have a core? This could explain why I'm having terrible luck with it.
The Gator Magnum Super Twist in Valk's link has the Aramid core, just like round and square GM line does.

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/M...AD_low-res.pdf
Old 08-03-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Valk-

I am wondering if that's a misprint in your link for the GM ST. I have never seen .118" line of any brand, and I am sure I looked at that stuff in both .095" and .105" at my local dealers a while back.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The Gator Magnum Super Twist in Valk's link has the Aramid core, just like round and square GM line does.

I was wondering how many pounds of line you use in one season
Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Haha...that was a link to your earlier link...I think!

Here's another Oregon link to muddy up the picture:

No SuperTwist mentioned under Magnum...just square & round. Strangely, no mention of Aramid core here either. Weird.
The Platinum is said to have a highly flexible co-polymer core.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-04-2013, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I'm seriously confused. Valk's last post on page 4 states that he is using platinum line. And he says "if the magnum is that much tougher".

I'm aware that there is the platinum supertwist and then there is the magnum super twist. I can't help but feel like somewhere in here one is being confused for the other. Soley based on my experiences with it. I simply can't see how you guys are having better luck with the platinum than you do with the magnum. Don't get me wrong, platinum is still a respectable line, much more so than stihl x line.

We have been round and round in discussing this stuff lol. I may have gotten a bad batch, but it's enough to make me never want to try it again.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I was wondering how many pounds of line you use in one season
I'm solo, so I'd guess approximately 3 lbs. It depends on which line I am using as to how much I go through. I don't use my trimmer for much edging anymore either, mainly my stick edger, so I save a ton of line there.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Haha...that was a link to your earlier link...I think!

Here's another Oregon link to muddy up the picture:

No SuperTwist mentioned under Magnum...just square & round. Strangely, no mention of Aramid core here either. Weird.
The Platinum is said to have a highly flexible co-polymer core.
Nope, your link is different than the one I put up. The line listed as Super Twist in your link is listed together with the Gator Magnum listings because it is built with the same materials. I'm not sure why they show it like it is a separate type line in your link. If it is because of the shape, that would be kinda dumb. Look at the package face in the link below to E-bay.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 08-04-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Ok I'm seriously confused. Valk's last post on page 4 states that he is using platinum line. And he says "if the magnum is that much tougher".

I'm aware that there is the platinum supertwist and then there is the magnum super twist. I can't help but feel like somewhere in here one is being confused for the other. Soley based on my experiences with it. I simply can't see how you guys are having better luck with the platinum than you do with the magnum. Don't get me wrong, platinum is still a respectable line, much more so than stihl x line.

We have been round and round in discussing this stuff lol. I may have gotten a bad batch, but it's enough to make me never want to try it again.
I'm not confused at all. I know which is which. The blue line with the grey core is... no, wait, that isn't right. The Black line with the blue core....no that's not right either..

Seriously. I know exactly which lines i am talking about as well as what Vallk is talking about.

This is Platinum Super Twist-
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pr..._gatorline.htm

This is Gator Magnum (including Super Twist GM)-
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pr...mGatorLine.htm

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3007619...Types&var=sbar