Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-04-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know you know ridin, just like I know which is which as I have both kinds. I was implying that the magnum super twist was being confused with the platinum supertwist and that's why some guys were thinking it was as good. Oh well argument over, I'll just let it lie.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I'm solo, so I'd guess approximately 3 lbs. It depends on which line I am using as to how much I go through. I don't use my trimmer for much edging anymore either, mainly my stick edger, so I save a ton of line there.
I use a stick edger as well 3 man crew I'm on my third 5lb spool of the magnum line I'm lucky to have 2.5gals mix last 2 days We do a lot trimming

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.p...1&d=1366603368
Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Nope, your link is different than the one I put up. The line listed as Super Twist in your link is listed together with the Gator Magnum listings because it is built with the same materials. I'm not sure why they show it like it is a separate type line in your link. If it is because of the shape, that would be kinda dumb. Look at the package face in the link below to E-bay.
My link is the same as yours in post #23, right?? I then provided another link to further muddy the mess. And DANG, it's messy now!

Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-04-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
My link is the same as yours in post #23, right?? I then provided another link to further muddy the mess. And DANG, it's messy now!

Heck, I don't know. I'm running on 1.5 hours of sleep right now.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I use a stick edger as well 3 man crew I'm on my third 5lb spool of the magnum line I'm lucky to have 2.5gals mix last 2 days We do a lot trimming

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.p...1&d=1366603368
If you do everything inside that red line, that's a lot of trimming, but I wouldn't think 2.5 gallons for that. You must have other locations to trim as well eh?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I know you know ridin, just like I know which is which as I have both kinds. I was implying that the magnum super twist was being confused with the platinum supertwist and that's why some guys were thinking it was as good. Oh well argument over, I'll just let it lie.
I wasn't arguing with you or anyone else. just stating my experiences. That's the sucky thing about a website forum- you can't always telll someones demeanor from their typing. It's all good bro.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
If you do everything inside that red line, that's a lot of trimming, but I wouldn't think 2.5 gallons for that. You must have other locations to trim as well eh?
I do everything in the red line In the spring time was taking about 2.5 gal of mix You think about this I run 4 trimmers 2 130 2 110 Fill the 4 trimmers up that's about a gallon of mix Most of time everybody fills up twice

Now summer time We use maybe 2/3

Out of 4 trimmers we have total of 14 hrs thats about avg.

This is the reason my trimmers never make it pass 4 yrs

And is why I run magnum vs platinum I tried it just didn't hold like the magnum does.
The magnum is stiff and platinum isn't stiff but does trim fine bladed grass well I don't have very many lawns that has fine blade grass 95% fescue I mow.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So after more use with the .105 gator magnum I can say I like it a lot. Its way more durable than echo's crossfire line and honestly it may be a little louder but when it comes down to it the durability wins me over.

I got 3lbs of echo crossfire to last almost two seasons with an average of 45 lawns per week (lost some and gained some in between seasons that's why I say 45 average). This is edging and trimming with it.

Last edited by smallstripesnc; 08-06-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I do everything in the red line In the spring time was taking about 2.5 gal of mix You think about this I run 4 trimmers 2 130 2 110 Fill the 4 trimmers up that's about a gallon of mix Most of time everybody fills up twice

Now summer time We use maybe 2/3

Out of 4 trimmers we have total of 14 hrs thats about avg.

This is the reason my trimmers never make it pass 4 yrs

And is why I run magnum vs platinum I tried it just didn't hold like the magnum does.
The magnum is stiff and platinum isn't stiff but does trim fine bladed grass well I don't have very many lawns that has fine blade grass 95% fescue I mow.
See this is along the lines of what I am experiencing with it. The platinum cuts cleaner it seems, but in all reality I would rather have line that lasts, than line that cuts perfectly clean.
You can grab the ends of each line and wiggle them back and forth and see that the magnum is much stiffer like Snyder said. The platinum is just a gimmick, I don't see it selling well. After all the only thing it really helps with is welding I guess, but I can count on one hand how many times I have had magnum weld on me.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like I have said repeatedly on LS- I love Gator Magnum line, and it has always been my first overall choice. You can find me saying that in most any thread on LS about trimmer line that I have participated in.

However, you can't tell anything by how "stiff" the line is. The reason that GM feels stiffer is due to its design/shape, nothing more. I looked at the Gator Magnum ST right next to my old favorite round and square GM at the local dealer. The Gator Magnum ST feels just like Platinum ST, meaning softer and/or more flexible, but it isn't. It is built with the same exact materials as round and square GM, but is just in twisted form which makes it "seem" like it is more flexible.

When I get the chance to try GMST, I will compare it SXS with Platinum to see if there's any difference in durability or ease in cutting grasses. I have no dog in the hunt other than trying to find the best line I can, and if it turns out to be GM ST instead of Platinum ST, that's ok by me.