Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 PM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,418
Right or wrong, loading all the weight at the front makes it "beat the living hell out of the truck", vs weight just in front of the axle it rides like its not even there.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Right or wrong, loading all the weight at the front makes it "beat the living hell out of the truck", vs weight just in front of the axle it rides like its not even there.
100000% agreed. It takes 1000lbs over my tandem trailer to even make the springs flex.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,935
Here is category class 5 specifications, not many trucks can handle this and see how little the tongue weight is

Rating: Class V
Maximum gross trailer weight: 18,000 lbs
Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 18,000 lbs
Maximum tongue weight: 2,000 lbs
Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 2,500 lbs


So 11% of the gvw. My hitch is rated for 7000 gvw or so and about 700 or so tongue weight.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
That is freaking stupid unless its a short trailer or a small skid. If its a 20 or 24ft trailer your front of your truck is so light in rain if you have to turn hard you will go stright. Plus the most weight a tongue is suspose to have is 1200lbs and that's about the heaviest ball hitch you can get. Most are 600lbs and under tongue weight.
I have a GN ball My trailer is 22ft and when I haul my 5240 Gehl It pulls the best in front of the axles If its loaded more on the axles I get more a bouncy ride in the truck
My truck is a F350 dually with F450 springs in rear
Now same load hook to my F350 shortbed then the skidsteer needs be more on the axles
If Im thinking right I think I have 60,000 ball or 50,000 I forget. I'll look next time.
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I have a GN ball My trailer is 22ft and when I haul my 5240 Gehl It pulls the best in front of the axles If its loaded more on the axles I get more a bouncy ride in the truck
My truck is a F350 dually with F450 springs in rear
Now same load hook to my F350 shortbed then the skidsteer needs be more on the axles
If Im thinking right I think I have 60,000 ball or 50,000 I forget. I'll look next time.
A f450 is a different story. Your not going to do that to a f250 without a serious issue. Pindle hitches are rated up to 80,000. I've never seen a ball over 20k unless its a gooseneck ball.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Dually00-00's Avatar
Dually00-00 Dually00-00 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bucks county Pa
Posts: 180
[QUOTE=Snyder's Lawn Inc;
If Im thinking right I think I have 60,000 ball or 50,000 I forget. I'll look next time.[/QUOTE]

Wow my GN hitch is rated @ only 30k .
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
A f450 is a different story. Your not going to do that to a f250 without a serious issue. Pindle hitches are rated up to 80,000. I've never seen a ball over 20k unless its a gooseneck ball.
My first ball came with a trailer I have GN 38ft tandem duels So each truck I had order the ball in at the trailer dealer No farm stores carry it I think has 2'' diameter shank.
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
My first ball came with a trailer I have GN 38ft tandem duels So each truck I had order the ball in at the trailer dealer No farm stores carry it I think has 2'' diameter shank.
Few have as big of balls as you
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dually00-00 View Post
Wow my GN hitch is rated @ only 30k .
My hitch is made in the Flatbed
I'll check tomorrow and take a pic I might be wrong been 10 yrs since I bought one
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Took a pic but didn't show up well and I was wrong its 30,000 ball 2'' dia shank my bad brain
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.07751 seconds with 8 queries