Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
It has been a very wet summer. Water on lawns that have never been wet in years past. On two of the ranches I mow I am driving thru water over the drives to get back to the areas I mow.
Ya I hear you! Same here. A lot more of string trimming going on this year where mower can't get.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't even get my Exmark Lazer to my shop right now we have so much water on our property. I can get the Dixie Chopper there as it has more aggressive tires.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I finally got the back cut on one that has been underwater for weeks. Some places were a foot and a half tall. Had to come home and completely decontaminate the mower due to all the doveweed.

That place has cost me quite a few extra trips this year. It's in a low area 5 miles out of town that often sees low temps 8 to 10 degrees lower than we get. If it freezes and goes dormant in November it would be ok with me.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This has been the wettest summer in the past 3-4 years. We had only 1 dry spell in august that lasted 2 or 3 weeks. May til now has been great with precipitation. I remember 2 years ago was so dang dry.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
This has been the wettest summer in the past 3-4 years. We had only 1 dry spell in august that lasted 2 or 3 weeks. May til now has been great with precipitation. I remember 2 years ago was so dang dry.
It has me worried about the storms that generally role through here this time of year. Last thing I really want right now is a hurricane or tropical storm of any size. I just want the typical mild mid October weather to get here soon. August flew by and I am hoping September will do the same.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wet; hot and HUMID! One day without rain last week. We're completely toasted at the end of the day, continually thirsty, crews slowing down, machines bogging down. Tired of cutting wet grass. Boots rotting off our feet, clothes falling apart and living in dreaded fear of the monkey butt. The rats and roaches have file a complaint with the health department on account of the squalid living conditions in my trucks; they have since moved out.

And yet business is good, got some nice installs, couple of new accounts and fired one low margin whiner (couldn't put up with his constant bitshing any more). All in all I'd still rather be here than anywhere else. 365 day growing season, we work all year round. The smooth patch is here soon. October we go to a 10 day cycle and December bi-weekly.

My doc says loosing 80 lbs will help improve my heat tolerance and my disposition. I don't think the diet will improve my disposition since it includes eliminating beer (60% of my calories ) from my diet.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"